Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Am I missing anything?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Am I missing anything?

Postby lainmai » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 pm

So....I decided I'd finally lay out everything I've picked up so far for my Sennie and see if there was something I was lacking in....I really didn't think I had THIS much! I've only been shopping a few times in the last 4 weeks to prep for the little guy too.....

Overview: 17 total toys, x 5 total perches, 2 ladders, 1 shower perch, 1 happy hut

Shredding & "thinking" toys

Bundgie - my 'Lets have the same one and they just LOVE it so I couldn't help but pick one up for my Sennie too

Perches -my 'Lets have a mini "Wacky Wood", I got my Sennie the bigger one

The ball toy just looked like far too much fun! The two smaller ones I actually got free when I bought my cage for my 'Lets last year but they were scared of them (the man and leather&beads)

Wuffle ball looked like too much fun as well to pass up, still deciding on taking the toy apart (its easy) and modifying it into being a few toys instead of just the one

Anything I'm missing? I'm picking up an "Atom" from the breeder as well as my cage later this week! I'm sooooooo excited, I get to finally meet my little one for the first time!!!
Last edited by lainmai on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Am I missing anything?

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Looks like you are going to have one spoiled little Senegal! That's a good thing. I think you've got plenty in the way of toys and perches unless you can get your hands on a bottlebrush perch (my Senegals favorite wood perch). You will probably find that the Sennie won't use the tent but you never know!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:16 pm

I recognize some of those items! I'd be afraid to lay out my collection for fear of knowing how much stuff I actually have bought. Any foot toys? Enough things that make sound? Scooter seems somewhat partial to transparent acrylic toys that make noise, I don't see much like that in your collection... but you never know what YOUR bird is going to favor!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby lainmai » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:27 pm

A few of the toys have bells but otherwise I've not found ANYTHING else that makes noise in the pet stores =(

Also....only foot toy I've found is a small mini tennis ball for small dogs (its in one of the pictures somewhere) that I figured might be fun. I'm looking to probably make some foot toys of y ow since...like I said with the noise makers...I can't find any here at all!

I *really* wish I lived in the USA when it comes to these things....you guys simply have EVERYTHING!
I'm still trying to find a supplier that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get sprout mixes and bean mixes from =/
lainmai
Conure

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Foot toys are really easy! First, I use every piece that gets chewed off of or falls off of a regular toy like pieces of wood or plastic. Instant foot toys. Also, you can get those little wiffle balls and stuff them with crinkly paper or chinese finger traps. There's all kinds of stuff. You shouldn't have any problem making foot toys.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:34 pm

I bought a couple of rattle ball things from Fosters and Smith that scooter really likes. He alternates between pushing it around with his beak and picking it up with his foot. It would probably be more right sized for a Sennie than a GCC. It would be easy to make, too... it's just a small perforated ball with one of the holes en larged to fit in some beads and then a leather piece strung through and knotted. Looks like the wiffle rattle here:

Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby lainmai » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, I have a few chinese finger traps in my 'Lets toy bin. Also, was considering taking off one of the rings from the one toy (the big ball with the wooden blocks and rings) to keep as a foot toy....just waiting to make sure its not "just the right size" for a head to get stuck in. Also have a few unused popsicle sticks I can use to make something out of.

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for the small whiffle balls and vine balls but have yet to find any =(
Any idea where in Canada you can find them?
lainmai
Conure

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Natacha would be the person to ask about supplies in Canada. She has a great bird room and it looks like she's managed to find everything possible for her birds. I imagine she'll check into this thread at some point.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Natacha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm

pchela wrote:Natacha would be the person to ask about supplies in Canada. She has a great bird room and it looks like she's managed to find everything possible for her birds. I imagine she'll check into this thread at some point.

Hehe did I just see my name? ;)

Supplies in Canada..oh yeah..It *is* possible to find stuff in this big country, just need to know where to look (and trust me, I am still learning about new stores every week or so).

Do you mind online shopping? 'Cause most of what I'll recommend here happen to be online birdstores.

Healthy Bird - Store located in NB, shipping rates are accordingly, you can possibly find some of the toys elsewhere for cheaper but service is good. Mind you, I find the website needs some taking use to...

Parrotdise Perch - Online store and in person store in Mississauga. Might be worth going in person to see what they have. They did have quite the selection of foot toys. I did go in person when I was in the Toronto area in May and purchased some Mother Pluckin' toys (saved on shipping from the States).

Do you understand French? Because the following online bird store is my go-to store for most things..

Les Jouets Rosie - Customer service is I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E. Plus, her homemade toys are of great quality. I've also often found that the other toys/supplies are least expensive here than elsewhere. There is the option of using the google translator on the website to get some idea of what the toys are in English. Located in Quebec.

West Coast Tropical Bird Studio - Only ordered there once, website is kinda hard to navigate but they are currently having quite the sale on their Starbird products - including the Get-a-Grip nets! (which is what I purchased..)

For great Organic treats - Avian Organics - located in BC
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby lainmai » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Got my cage and picked up a few things from Parrotdise Perch today.
I was too excited and scatterbrained so even though I took my camera with me I forgot to take pictures of the little Sennies!! They are both little darlings! I managed to get there not long after he fed them and was able to hold onto one for a bit and give it scrittches. To top it off the little one wiggled and was obviously trying to get back into the cage so I put it back in with ts sibling and the first thing it did was run to the corner and poop! Smart little one that one is, it didn't want to poop on me =)

DNA results should be arriving within a week or so but Leonard thinks both babies are boys as they are "large" compared to most females he has hand raised. Hopefully they both are since another gentleman is looking fr a male as well and has first dibs! Another 3 weeks or so and my little Sennie comes home!

lainmai
Conure

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY