Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Criteria for deciding when other-pet toys are parrot-safe?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Criteria for deciding when other-pet toys are parrot-safe?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:31 pm

What criteria do you use when considering toys marketed for other pets as toys for your parrot? Scooter really likes balls and all I can find in the local stores for birds are for budgies and are too flimsy. I found some marketed for ferrets that look ideal, nice and sturdy. Aside from generally standing up to bird-abuse, are there materials, dyes or other components commonly used in toys marketed for cats, dogs, ferrets, rats, etc that one would want to avoid when re-purposing for a bird?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Criteria for deciding when other-pet toys are parrot-safe?

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:55 pm

That's a very good question and I'm curious what the answer will be. Let's add to that human baby toys as well. I would assume they have higher standards than common bird toys but is there any chance that there is something non-toxic to human children that could be in the products that is toxic to parrots?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Kim S » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:46 pm

I use a lot of other pet toys as well. Especially those for rabbits, hamsters and ferrets are briliant! From experience I know that a lot of the toys for birds and other animals come from the same factory. So I assume that they use the same safety criteria for all animals.

Babytoys I only use the wooden ones. The dye used for wooden baby toys is mostly very safe or even based on natural products. Plastic toys are not calculated on being mollested by a parrot beak and I freak out thinking he can swallow any plastic.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:31 am

at the dollar store near me they have cotton dog toys and the materials listed on the back. i brought one for my bird as they have the same materials as its identical one at the bird barn just it was listed 'bird toy'

he loves it. i basically research the product check the materials etc and its fine if its a dyed toy i check if its food grade

when im buying foot toys for my lorikeet i buy the cat balls and only a few bird ones....the ones designed for rabbits and cats are a lot more hardy than the bird ones.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby notscaredtodance » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:06 am

When buying cat toys, make sure there is no catnip! I've always wondered if it was safe for birds and recently found it on th toxic plants list on avianweb.com

Leather for make your own toys is another one. Any colored leather at a craft store is probably loaded with chemicals and unless it SAYS natural vegetable dyed oil, just dont buy it.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Mr.Darcy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 am

And lets not forget about how many recalls are seen on toys forbabies, kids or teens because they are manufactured somewhere that uses lead or other nasty chemicals for parts etc. Just because you can buy it in a pet store or department store doesn't mean they are all safe. Common sense applies, look carefully at the item and the quality of the parts used....Even wood that appears untreated may have a light coat of urethane on it....Just a pessimistic thought

:macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY