Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

make your own tree

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

make your own tree

Postby borjawil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:27 am

Ok so Ive seen java trees and they look great. But pricey. And im not sure they're big enough for macaws, possibly. Any who I dont want to spend $70+ on a tree. Would it be ok to find a branch off a tree with thick limbs and use that somehow? what about connecting different thick branches in to a tree shape? The most crude idea ive come up with that would work is taking a 4 by 4, drilling holes in it and putting dowel rods in it for "branches"
borjawil
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw
Flight: No

Re: make your own tree

Postby zazanomore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am

I too would love a java tree, but right now, I don't have the money for one. I'm sure they make large java tree stands for macaws, but I can imagine that they cost a pretty penny.

Making your own stand sounds like a good alternative, but just make sure that the type of wood you use is safe. If you are using a tree in your yard, make sure there's no pesticides or dangerous chemicals that reach the branches.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby borjawil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:18 pm

java trees for larger birds cost hundreds. ridiculous. Looks like Ill have to create my own!
borjawil
Parrotlet

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:16 pm

some safe woods off the top of my head are java, dragonwood, ti tree, lemonwood, willow, bamboo, apple, bottle brush.

if you liek the look of java but cant afford the java tree you would always buy a couple of java perches and incorporate them into you're design :) skies the limit!
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby zazanomore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:42 pm

TheNzJessie wrote:some safe woods off the top of my head are java, dragonwood, ti tree, lemonwood, willow, bamboo, apple, bottle brush.

if you liek the look of java but cant afford the java tree you would always buy a couple of java perches and incorporate them into you're design :) skies the limit!

I've heard apple is great for parrots! There's TONS of apple trees near where I live. Though, whenever I think of an apple tree, I think of thin branches. You might want something a bit thicker for a macaw. But then again, I may be wrong.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby borjawil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:19 pm

pine and maple are good too. oak as well I heard but just make sure theres no bark or leaves and such. something around an inch thick or so is good for a macaw. Think i work something with a 4 by 4 and some different sized dowel rods. Ill get pics up when i get around to doing it.
borjawil
Parrotlet

Postby Michael » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:06 pm

borjawil wrote:java trees for larger birds cost hundreds. ridiculous. Looks like Ill have to create my own!

They cost that much for a reason and are worth every penny. The Java wood is very hard and much more resistant to chewing. These trees are durable and will last a long time. The bark is removed, they are dried, they are inspected, disinfected, and baked to kill all the nasty stuff that could live in them. It takes an enormous oven to be able to do this.

If you think $500 for a Java tree for a Blue and Yellow Macaw is expensive, you're daydreaming. How do you expect to afford all the food, toys, perches, treats, carrier, vet bills etc? A blue and yellow macaw is pretty cheap ($1200) compared to the enormous cost of owning it ($1000-$2000 per year for 50-100 years, think $50,000-$200,000 over its lifetime). See this article about cost of parrot ownership.

You should seriously reconsider getting a blue and yellow macaw if it is not already too late because the cost of owning is much much greater than you realize. I've spent thousands of dollars on things as the result of my parrots that aren't even specifically for the parrots (vacuum cleaners, air purifiers, cast iron pans, heaters, lights, rugs, storage, cleaning supplies, etc). I'm not trying to disappoint you, but if $70 for a tree sounds like too much for you and you cannot afford a cage, there is no way you will be able to pay the upkeep for such a large, demanding, and expensive parrot. It will make the price of the parrot look like a freebie. You must consider a parrot that fits your budget. The important thing is not the price of the bird but how much you are ready to spend yearly on it. You can figure you will spend at least the cost of the parrot every year for its entire life beyond the initial basic investment.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:48 pm

Michael wrote:
borjawil wrote:java trees for larger birds cost hundreds. ridiculous. Looks like Ill have to create my own!

They cost that much for a reason and are worth every penny. The Java wood is very hard and much more resistant to chewing. These trees are durable and will last a long time. The bark is removed, they are dried, they are inspected, disinfected, and baked to kill all the nasty stuff that could live in them. It takes an enormous oven to be able to do this.

If you think $500 for a Java tree for a Blue and Yellow Macaw is expensive, you're daydreaming. How do you expect to afford all the food, toys, perches, treats, carrier, vet bills etc? A blue and yellow macaw is pretty cheap ($1200) compared to the enormous cost of owning it ($1000-$2000 per year for 50-100 years, think $50,000-$200,000 over its lifetime). See this article about cost of parrot ownership.

You should seriously reconsider getting a blue and yellow macaw if it is not already too late because the cost of owning is much much greater than you realize. I've spent thousands of dollars on things as the result of my parrots that aren't even specifically for the parrots (vacuum cleaners, air purifiers, cast iron pans, heaters, lights, rugs, storage, cleaning supplies, etc). I'm not trying to disappoint you, but if $70 for a tree sounds like too much for you and you cannot afford a cage, there is no way you will be able to pay the upkeep for such a large, demanding, and expensive parrot. It will make the price of the parrot look like a freebie. You must consider a parrot that fits your budget. The important thing is not the price of the bird but how much you are ready to spend yearly on it. You can figure you will spend at least the cost of the parrot every year for its entire life beyond the initial basic investment.

but when you think of it, most of these costs are over many years. your'e not going to spend $1000 on perches all at once and $5000 on toys all at once. if the cost is over a number of years it works out ok. but if you were to pay off a java tree like $80 a week or what ever im sure it wouldn't be a problem because the cost is spread out. $500 for a tree is expensive for some people
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby guybo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:20 pm

http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml This lists some safe trees for parrots. there are several websites with lists of safe woods. I disagree with Michael- just because it can be expensive to own a parrot doesn't mean that you have to blow money- a good way to save money IMHO is to make your own perches and play gym. If your bird chews up a perch that's cost you $10 to build, you can spend another $10 and build something completely new.

Inspect the wood and make sure it's clean. Get the bark off wood if it's not safe to have on (some bark is not dangerous) by whiddling it off. Something to bear in mind.... in nature birds kinda live on natural wooden perches!
guybo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parrotlets- Cassiopeia and Plato "The Kids"
1 Cockatiel- Hades "The head case"
1 Quaker- Perseus "Squeaky"

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:01 pm

You'll need REALLY hard wood to stand up to a macaw for any length of time.

I understand that natural branches (def from a safe wood source) should be baked out in an oven prior to use, as a decontaminating measure. I don't know if that is practical when you are building something for a large bird.

You might do better with PVC.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY