Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Anyone know how to make a wood t perch?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Anyone know how to make a wood t perch?

Postby waika94 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:57 am

i need some help or suggestions on how to build a T perch for my budgie. i would really appreciate it if you could leave me some ideas or suggestions. and please feel free to add some pictures too. thanks :D
waika94
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet/Budgie
Flight: No

Re: Anyone know how to make a wood t perch?

Postby iknowwhatiknow » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:24 am

Go to your local hardware store (that stocks and cuts wood - like Bunnings) and look for offcuts. Get a nice big rectangle, and a piece 4x4x30cm that's round (or not - it's kind of irrelevant).

Buy a couple of screws, and screw from the bottom of the rectangle into the 4x4 piece. You'll have a nice stand for your perch. Then you just need to pick up a nice branch, and screw from the centre of it into the 4x4.

That's how I made Rory's perch. It cost me less than $2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UZRhPMk0l4& (you can see it in the video)
"If I think I can figure things out, is that curiosity or arrogance? I know what I know." - Topher Brink, Dollhouse.
iknowwhatiknow
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:01 am

I'm not sure how big a perch your looking for, i buy old floor lamps from yard sales etc. get the ones with heavy bases and plain metal up-rights. usually when you remove the lamp fixture there's means to attach a wooden perch, ie;threaded bolt protruding from top of stand, i have good luck with these because the birds can't climb down the slick metal pole and are relatively easy to clean. on some models i have added an old baking pan or cookie sheet to catch the mess.( the all wood stands are a pain in the fanny to clean and tend to get top heavy without a very large base) Sometimes you can find old patio umbrella stands that work well, but some can be quite heavy.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby waika94 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:17 pm

captwest wrote:I'm not sure how big a perch your looking for, i buy old floor lamps from yard sales etc. get the ones with heavy bases and plain metal up-rights. usually when you remove the lamp fixture there's means to attach a wooden perch, ie;threaded bolt protruding from top of stand, i have good luck with these because the birds can't climb down the slick metal pole and are relatively easy to clean. on some models i have added an old baking pan or cookie sheet to catch the mess.( the all wood stands are a pain in the fanny to clean and tend to get top heavy without a very large base) Sometimes you can find old patio umbrella stands that work well, but some can be quite heavy.

Thanks! i am definitely gonna try this out. it sounds much more simple than what i was thinking of.haha. I will let you know how it turns out :)
waika94
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet/Budgie

Postby michellet » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 am

Thanks Capt!!!
I just took apart the upright floor lamp next to my sofa...and yay! it has a threaded thingy on the top of the pole i can screw a perch right onto!! Missy gets a new perch and now i have an excuse to buy a new lamp too!! :lol:
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4