Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

large diy wood cage?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

large diy wood cage?

Postby trademark » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:06 pm

A neighbor had a homemade wooden cage (not anymore). i want to make one for my future bird. I want to make a large cage. What type of wood (or other material-no metal) can i use to build it?
All the non toxic woods I've searched up were for perches. Where can i buy those woods or materials and where can i buy non toxic paint if needed? home depot?
trademark
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: lovebird
Flight: No

Re: large diy wood cage?

Postby Roger P » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:05 pm

First of all, most parrots are prolific chewers, so a wood cage is probably a really bad idea, as it would not last long. Also, there are very few paints that are safe for birds either, even though they may be non-toxic to humans. I would recommend strongly against a wooden cage, I would stick with powder coated metal as the least expensive alternative. Just my opinion though.
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: large diy wood cage?

Postby lzver » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Roger makes a very good point. Given enough time, I think any parrot would chew their way out of a wooden cage.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY