Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rope Perches & Toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Use of rope perches and toys in parrot cages.

I use rope perches and toys and don't think they're dangerous.
17%
I use rope perches and toys, but I don't think they're dangerous with proper maintenance.
75%
I do not use rope perches and toys because I think they're dangerous.
No votes
I do not use rope perches and toys for other reasons specified in replies.
8%

Total votes : 12

Rope Perches & Toys

Postby kaylayuh » Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 am

I was reading about the dangers of rope perches and toys in parrot cages and was wondering how many of us use them and how many of us find them to be dangerous for our birds.

I use rope perches and toys in both of my cages. I never really considered the dangers of rope perches, but I have always made a habit of checking for loose threads.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Rope Perches & Toys

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Tue May 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Joey loves her rope perches and toys so I wouldnt wanna be without them but like with any other toy I check them often. Every two weeks I take all of his toys out and check and clean everything and put new toys in.
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 am

Both our cages have a rope ring swing in it that all our birds love, but I check it often for loose threads. We came home from church one day to find our old GCC with her foot stuck in cotton, not hurt, just stuck and a little panicked.
I read something on a blog the other day (I have a feeling the blogger comes on here) about rope toys/perches that have the wire put through the middle of the rope is a lot more dangerous than toys/perches that have had the rope wound around the wire, as the rope is generally tighter wound and less likely to fray.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Natacha » Wed May 04, 2011 10:20 am

I have rope perches and swings, but no toys with lengthy pieces of cotton just dangling there.

I do monitor those perches/swings each day though for fray pieces. Given that the cotton rope in those scenario is nice and tucked in and that my guys don't chew on them, I don't see any immediate reason to take them out.

However, cotton in toys, specially if it's just hanging there to be chewed I find dangerous and have read one too many horror stories of parrot deaths because of it that I will not have it in my cages.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby kaylayuh » Wed May 04, 2011 3:12 pm

Natacha wrote:However, cotton in toys, specially if it's just hanging there to be chewed I find dangerous and have read one too many horror stories of parrot deaths because of it that I will not have it in my cages.

I actually do have a couple of the cotton rope toys with loose hanging threads and never really thought about it before reading about a bird injesting them and dying as a result. My birds focus on the knots and wooden bobbles on the ropes and hardly ever touch the ends unless they're moving it around, but now I think I'm a bit paranoid!
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Natacha » Wed May 04, 2011 4:54 pm

kaylayuh wrote:
Natacha wrote:However, cotton in toys, specially if it's just hanging there to be chewed I find dangerous and have read one too many horror stories of parrot deaths because of it that I will not have it in my cages.

I actually do have a couple of the cotton rope toys with loose hanging threads and never really thought about it before reading about a bird injesting them and dying as a result. My birds focus on the knots and wooden bobbles on the ropes and hardly ever touch the ends unless they're moving it around, but now I think I'm a bit paranoid!

Just recently I read of a bird dying being tangled in a toy with long strands of cotton rope.
It's just not worth the risk IMO.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Nevermore » Sun May 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Rope toys can be dangerous if you're not careful. I know of a cockatiel that 'tried' to hang himself off an octopus toy. It was a plastic umbrella-shaped top with yawn hanging down as tentacles.
Wild animals are called 'wild' for a reason. Keep them that way. Adopt your pets, or buy them from a certified breeder.
Nevermore
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheeked Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed May 11, 2011 5:47 am

both my birds have 1 rope perch each all other perches are ti tree wood which does a great job at keeping their nails short

there are dangers with them but like anything you give your bird you have to monitor it. you honestly have to think of your bird as a 2 year old child.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY