Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

A foraging bin

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

A foraging bin

Postby Sixwing » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:40 am

I purchased a pound of wooden toy pieces from Fowl Play a little while ago, and Jetty ( :senegal: ) couldn't be more pleased with the results. :D

Not only was I able to restring several of his old toys with new, un-chewed-to-bits wood, and revive his favorite green-enameled bell (it was on a dangerously long chain, since he had removed the old wood pieces from it), but I made a foraging bin that challenged him.

Fowl Play makes these neat little lathed 'vase' shapes. It has a relatively narrow neck, a bulbous 'body', and a hole in the bottom for stringing. I strung it on bird-friendly sisal, with a wooden disc for a lid, and put a few treats in it where Jetty could see me do it. Like most (all?) parrots, he gets very excited when he's given a challenge, so he tore into that puzzle right away.

It took him two days to figure out how to hold the vase, lift the lid, and retrieve a treat all at once. The next time I gave him the bin, I put a wooden ring on the lid - it took him all of fifteen minutes to figure out the more complex version of the toy and retrieve his treat!

I'd very much recommend the wood packs - they allow such fun, both in designing and creating new puzzles, and watching the parrot solve them. Now I just need to think of more ways to make it tough to get in that vase! :senegal:
Sixwing
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Dove, Budgerigar, Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: A foraging bin

Postby liz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:03 pm

That sounds great. Please give me more info on how to order the toy. My Myrtle is learning so fast it is hard for me to keep her supplied.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: A foraging bin

Postby Sixwing » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:49 pm

I got the parts from Fowl Play and strung them myself to create the lidded bin. With a little creativity, I find it's relatively easy to keep the bird occupied... though Jetty got into the bin in five seconds flat this morning, so I obviously need to up my game. ^^
Sixwing
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Ringneck Dove, Budgerigar, Senegal Parrot

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY