Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

SAFE PARROT TOYS(Make Your Own Cheaper, etc.)

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

SAFE PARROT TOYS(Make Your Own Cheaper, etc.)

Postby Maria » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 pm

OK! Here we go!

There are things that can be bought, as well as things around our own houses, which are not only cheaper (than buying toys at the parrot shop), BUT are ALSO – “SAFE” (non-toxic, etc.) – for parrots.

Some people say throw one of those large telephone company books in the cage, they love to tear it up. I disagree with that, and would not do that with my parrot, as the ink is really not healthy for them, neither is the adhesive used for binding the book. Not safe.

When you walk in a parrot shop, you see hanging chew toys for the cages, made out of things which you can put together yourself, and buy cheaper elsewhere, even at dollar stores, etc.

For example:

See this link of a picture of a wicker wreath. These I have seen in dollar stores, but also I have seen them sold as foot toys for 4 and 5 dollars a piece! How would we know whether or not the ones in the dollar stores are treated? Or ones like these in hobby lobby?http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/390502310/wicker_wreath.jpg

Regular rope, how do you know whether or not it’s treated with something? See this link. Rope is also used to make parrot toys.
http://factorydirectcraft.com/pimages/20060317090441-985625/14_all_natural_sisal_rope_50ft.jpg

And just small wicker baskets? Some could be safe, but some – if they have any type of glue or adhesive on them whatsoever – they are not safe. Like little wicker basket we could attach, with the basket used to forage out of. And again, how do we know whether or not the wicker is treated, from ones from dollar stores or places like hobby lobby?http://cdn100.iofferphoto.com/img/item/146/157/653/5Ggs.jpg
This particular one, I would say, uses some type of adhesive, just by looking at it, with the other parts put on it. Also, if it has any type of staples helping to hold on the handle, not good.

But in this picture (another topic on this forum), look at this basket. It looks safe. The picture is from where rebeccaturpeinen is showing how she makes home made parrot toys.
(See in posted attachment).
small wicker basket parrot toy.jpg
small wicker basket parrot toy.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 16819 times

You see, and even a lot of these things can be bought at places like hobby lobby, and dollar stores. The thing is, when you buy toys at a parrot shop, you know for sure that the parts are not treated in any way, and any coloring is done with food coloring, which is safe for birds. If you were to buy these parts at other stores, you don’t know whether or not they are treated with anything, or what they use for coloring – so you don’t know what substances might be used on them which may not be safe for parrots.

Wooden blocks
These blocks, being that human baby’s put everything in their mouths, I would assume whatever is used to put the colors on them, is also safe for parrots. Is it food coloring? Or what exactly is it? These same type of blocks are on hanging chew toys in parrot shops, for example. And like the ones of parrot toys from parrot shops are kind of a little smaller, and they’re just your regular, original, old-fashion looking alphabet blocks for human children. See link this link for example so you know what I’m talking about:
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/63431/63431,1211409624,4/stock-photo-a-stack-oif-children-s-alphabet-blocks-spelling-the-word-baby-on-a-white-background-12937486.jpg

Straws
Can we just get any types of straws? All different kinds of colored, striped, and clear straws are on hanging chew toys in parrot shops.

Cardboard
Cardboard pieces are on hanging chew toys in parrot shops. How would we know if we tear up a box just from anywhere, whether or not the box has been treated with something – anything – like treated with anything for preservation, strength, etc.

The owner of the parrot shop where I bought my parrot, put out a list of toxic woods. I will post that as soon as I can also.

I’ve also stumbled along a website which shows they make parts for toys for parrots, which they say the parts are safe. Woods, etc., etc., etc., wood pieces, blocks, etc. People can buy the parts to make their own toys. But I would imagine this would also be almost just expensive as the toys in the parrot shops.

With the toys in the parrot shops, also, you’re paying for the manufacturer to make the toys. But also, people are trying to find ways to make toys themselves cheaper. The key to THAT is how to find out which products are safe.

And what is “DIY”?
Last edited by Maria on Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Re: SAFE PARROT TOYS(Make Your Own Cheaper, etc.)

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm

I basicly make all my toys myself. What I will do ocasionally is by a toy wich has LOTS of wooden parts and take it apart and make toys out of it (mostly cos I dont want to go through the hassle of making sure the wood is safe, cleaned, baked, drilled etc) I also browse 2nd hand shops, like you mentioned, babys put everything in their mouths so baby toys should definitly be safe to use. I often take these apart too so I have lots of pieces instead.

Wicker basket... ya just use common sense. You can look at a basket and see how it is made (any glue, wire)and ofcourse if its treated.

I live in Denmark and the gouverment has very stricks rules on everything. For example, all the newspaper have to have safe ink both for children and pets, by law. Also toys and metals from the hardware stores have very specific rules.

I have to admit, the first couple of toys I made didnt look very nice (they were safe though) but I get better and better at it :D
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella
Flight: Yes

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:00 pm

I still think it's best to buy toy parts in bulk ONLINE and make toys. It really is cheap if you buy in bulk.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:24 am

GlassOnion wrote:I still think it's best to buy toy parts in bulk ONLINE and make toys. It really is cheap if you buy in bulk.

Not when you have to have them shipped. Not that many possibilities here in Denmark
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby Maria » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:39 pm

wreath
How would we know whether or not the ones in the dollar stores are treated? Or ones like these in hobby lobby?

Regular rope, how do you know whether or not it’s treated with something?

wicker baskets
And again, how do we know whether or not the wicker is treated, from ones from dollar stores or places like hobby lobby?

Can we just get any types of straws? All different kinds of colored, striped, and clear straws are on hanging chew toys in parrot shops.

How would we know if we tear up a box just from anywhere, whether or not the box has been treated with something – anything – like treated with anything for preservation, strength, etc.

And what is “DIY”?

Please provide answers to these questions referenced in my post. Immense thanks. :-)
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Postby Maria » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

I’m looking for or interested in things like for example

What do we look for?

IE: the wicker wreaths don’t have or come with ingredient listings lol –

Do they look a certain way if they’re treated with something? IE: Do they look a darker color? Or do/can we go as far as asking store managers where they get them from and whether or not they know, or if they can call their vendor(s), etc., and find out, if they’re treated with anything? or if they are just plain, pure wicker.?

What to stay away from, what’s good, etc., ways of finding out, and how do we know, etc. – suggestions or knowledge along those lines

Same for ropes and baskets and boxes.

And would I be correct in “assuming” that being that we, as well as toddlers, put straws in our mouths, than straws would be safe and not treated with anything? No matter where they’re bought from, right?
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY