Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The big homemade toy idea thread

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Questions about chains

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 am

Where can we get those chains which we see parrot toys are made on, at parrot shops? What is this which is used? Are these indeed dog collar chains? I believe I remember the parrot shop owner saying not to let parrots chew on the chains, which these parrot shop toys already made, are made on. Would that be because they have zinc in them? My parrot is not a chain chewer, and they seem to hold toys the best as well.

Home depot does not have that right kind of chain.

What types of metals are safe for parrots? Is it stainless steel and nickel only? And are there chains made of the "safe" metals only, that we can get?

Unless I get some answers and find chaining that I'm also comfortable with using, I will stick to Poly rope. But I would also like to find chaining.

Thanks.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Question About Colored Popcicle Sticks At Hobby Lobby

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Ya'll, remember in my earlier post, about the section of packaged wood pieces, with the striped label, which say on the label "non-toxic".

Please see this link for the label, so you know exactly what I'm talking about, you will also see on the label where it says non-toxic.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-oeQ-s3jx-7g/T ... +~+014.JPG

Then go to this link to see their package of colored popcicle sticks or craft sticks in the area. They also say non-toxic on the label:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iPt4m0YXp7w/T ... AG0734.jpg

QUESTION:
WOULD THIS BE FOOD COLORING? SAFE? IS THAT WHAT THE NON-TOXIC MEANS, REFERING TO THE COLORING? . . . . . . . for example .... ??

Other of their packaged wood pieces in this section which have that striped label, by this company, now you know exactly which section to go to (which kind of label to look for, because all I was saying in my earlier post was "striped label".).

QUESTIONS:
Now, there are other packages by this company, (striped label), which are NOT colored - - - of wood pieces, and they also say non-toxic on the label. Then could the non-toxic be referring to that the type of wood is non-toxic?

Would the "Non-toxic" be referring to both the type of wood and the coloring? (IE: wood which is NOT treated with anything or coated with anything; types of woods which are not toxic; coloring which is not toxic)

As I was saying, I only got the non-colored ones for now, until I can find out more?
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Two-Minute Parrot Toy: The Tamale

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:44 pm

OH WOW! CORN HUSKS USED TO MAKE TAMALES ARE SAFE? CHECK THIS OUT! AND CORN HUSKS BOUGHT FROM JUST ANYWHERE LIKE GROCERY STORE?????

Two-Minute Parrot Toy: The Tamale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzLJdwu- ... re=related
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Homemade toys by Dr. Kersting, "Bird Medicine & Surgery"!

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Wow! Jackpot! check out this site! He also has a listing on here of other items that are safe to make toys, has toy ideas, etc., and also talks about the corn husks! :danicing: check out this link!

http://www.birdmedicineandsurgery.com/homemadetoys.php
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Re: The big homemade toy idea thread

Postby cml » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Maria, its great that you put all this effort into researching safe toys for parrots, but if you want feedback, try to make your posts a little shorter and dont post as many in a row ;) .

I am interested in reading them but as it is, I dont have the time to plough through it all ^^.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Questions About Those Other Packaged wood pieces Hobby Lobby

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Here is the link to that other section of packaged wood pieces at Hobby Lobby, right next to the packaged ones with that striped labeling:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PF-HgOpToqU/T ... 00/089.JPG

QUESTIONS:
I distinctly remember the labeling, even the coloring of the labeling, blue and yellow, looked just like this, etc. Now, by this company, these are the ones which the lady who works there said she "believed" these pieces pine because it's the cheaper wood. These are the really good ones I was referring to, with all different shapes, even with holes already drilled into them. None of them are colored with anything. These are the ones I was saying I did not get, because there was question as to what types of pine is safe, and I was wanting to know if these would be safe ???????????????? Can everyone please give insight to this??

And now, in Dr. Kersting's site, he lists untreated/kiln dried white pine such as 2 X 2 and 2 X 4 from your hardware store is safe to use. So that is helpful.

But how do we know what type of wood these pieces are in the packages with the blue and yellow labeling, whether or not they're safe??? They do not say anything like "non-toxic" on them. They do not say what type of wood they are.

Anyone ever use them or get them from hobby lobby for their birds, or have any insight on them at all, to these things, would be immensely appreciated.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

what type of wood is wood shoppe man 8 pcs item 165530

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:27 pm

WOW! I just googled this: "what type of wood is wood shoppe man 8 pcs item 165530" (the wording it says on that label)

so far it says.... "These unfinished Birch Men are perfect for all kinds of arts & crafts projects from toys to doll furniture and more...."

So they're birch! Is birch safe!!??
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Hallelujah! very good listing, birch is on the safe list par

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:32 pm

http://www.beaknwings.org/ed/woods.pdf

At this link, very good listing, birch is on the safe list part! Also is a non-safe list woods part :danicing:

So by this, then, these wood pieces packages with the blue and yellow labeling would be safe to use!? - right?!
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Postby Maria » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Oh sorry, cml. All thoughts dont come at the same time. I will try to do better at minimal posts. I am just also really putting alot of effort into this, and a on a roll ! :danicing: I'm also trying to find out as much as I can, asking questions for people's input through this. Thanks.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Postby Maria » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:11 am

marie83 wrote:Pets at home do brand new egg cartons but you will be able to get them much cheaper from an egg supplier/farmer or anywhere else that sells supllies for chickens.

when I entered "egg cartons" in the search box at petsathome.com, it told me the following:

"Sorry! we couldn't find what you are looking for...
You searched for egg cartons "

:cry:

I also have not gotten response back from emailing those two farms and livestock companies I referred to in my earlier post. I'd emailed them again also, asking them if it is non-toxic paint or ink on the tops of their cartons, but that also, about, that we can take the tops off as well, and still use the bottoms. No response from either of them at all.

If anyone finds a good deal on where to order unused egg cartons, please post.

I sent email to the contact link at petsathome.com - inquiring about the egg cartons, if they have them, etc. It brings up a web form to fill out and email. :hatched:
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY