Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The biggest mistake of my life

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: The biggest mistake of my life

Postby liz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:55 am

I only rehome when I know it will have a better life than I could give it.

Harley and Marley are much more enriched with Wolf.

When I was overwhelmed by the work I had daily. I gave Chick Chick to a lady who had 4 chickens and called them her girls. Their coop was heated and air conditioned and she closed them in at night for safety then let them out in the morning. She said she carried Chick Chick to the coop and introduced her to the girls. She had the same life but with a woman who had more time for her.

Rambo also came with a Chihuahua. Katie new me and loved me but did not like my house. She had been an only dog and did not want to be part of a pack. I rehomed her to a disabled father and son with no other pets. She went everywhere with them and loved it.

If I get to a point where I can't care for my babies and give them the attention they need I will rehome for their benefit.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Blu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:22 pm

liz wrote:
Blu wrote:
liz wrote:Looking back you probably think you should have stood your ground and kept your bird. At that time you had no choice and it is not your fault. Like I said, kick yourself around one more time then help another bird who may even be up for rehome with the same situation.

He doesn't need to kick himself around. He did what he thought was right and it unfortunately didn't turn out as well as he hoped. He feels bad enough. I don't think the reasons he gave up his bird for were wrong in anyway.

Sorry. He was in the process of kicking himself so I was trying to say to finish with it and move on.
If you read my other post you will see that I know exactly why he gave up his bird. The powers that be told him to do it.

Oh my mistake. Sorry liz :lol:
Blu the Budgie :budgie2:

Connor the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Blu
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet, Cinnamon Green cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:10 pm

I would not think twice of rehoming any and all of my birds if I knew for a fact that they were going to have a better life with somebody else. I've done it before and I am considering doing it again for one of the amazons.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:12 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:
Pajarita wrote:They did give the birds to a family they knew and you can't 'go back when you are older and get the bird back'. It's not fair to the bird and you always have to think of them first.

U can if the person you gave it to know knows they are just caring for it for a while and the bird wouldnt know u gave him away if your visiting everyday and doing your normal everyday things with it like I would anyway its my opinion and either way I wouldnt give Rocko away for anybody I would only give him away if he was really really sick and could die and I couldnt afford his treatment,

At the time, I gave them to a family well-known for the care they gave their birds, people whom we knew and who had birds that were the same species as my parrots. I did visit them once, and they were excited to talk to me, but it was difficult to leave them and so i did not visit again. If youre their bonded human, they will notice that you leave frequently, moreso if they're free-roaming birds as ours were.

As Parjarita stated, dander is difficult to control, and limiting the birds to one room was not an option, as that would require clipping them and restricting them to a cage. Something that may have worked for me if I were okay with clipping my birds, but would have made them miserable, as well as my family. I made the choice which I thought would give my birds the best quality of life, even if it wasn't with me. Our entire family has regretted the decision since the day we dropped them off, but you have to understand that our options were limited. We had never experienced dealt with allergies, and the allergist insisted my sister's health was at serious risk if the bird didn't leave immediately.

Also, please remember that you do not have enough information about anyone's living situation and circumstances to judge the decisions they made at whatever time and claim that you could have done better, as this *is* the internet. Dropping out of high school to live with my birds in a car would have cut their lifespans even shorter-from lack of food if not from stress.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:44 am

Shira, don't worry about it. There is a saying in Spanish: No escupas para arriba (don't spit up) meaning, one can never say "I'll never do such a thing" because one can find oneself doing exactly that if the circumstances make it imperative. We have all made mistakes. I have rehomed birds that ended up dead - it makes you feel terrible to find out later on that you made a mistake so grievous and guilt for it is pretty unavoidable but, at the time, it seemed like the right decision and, as long as our conscience is clean, that's the best one can do in life.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby shiraartain » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:37 pm

I just visited my friend's cockatiels recently and the male was very sweet and kept asking me for scritches, and so I've been missing mine more than usual these past few days, which is why those assumptions got to me more than they should have.

Very useful saying, Parjarita! After Fajr was hurt, I was convinced that the worst thing I ever did was buy him, because he would have had a chance at a better life without a hurt leg...but had to remind myself he could have also had a much worse, neglected life as well. We just have to deal with the present as it is and learn from the past.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Well as I already said, you did what you thought was right and what you thought was the best at the time.
Very often we find ourselves looking back on what we did in the past and judging that with what we know now instead of basing our judgement on what we knew at the time we did whatever it was we did. This is never a good thing as we always fall short. At 60 years of age, it occurs to me that this is a lot of falling short. So if I am to fall short instead of looking for the worst things that I have done, I think that I prefer to look at the best things that I did. It is at least more fair.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales