Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Uncaring family surrounding a beautiful bird's death

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Uncaring family surrounding a beautiful bird's death

Postby flymehigh » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:39 am

JaydeParrot wrote:Some of you may remember quite a while back when I talked about the unfortunate death of my beloved sennie Hide who very sadly lost his fight to bornavirus. He died seizuring in my hands, I've never been more upset over someone's death than I was for his and yet in some ways what made it worse was how everyone around me for the next months would get irritated because I'd suddenly burst into tears and just have to leave the room for a bit.

It hurt that it seemed like I was the only human who even cared that he was gone, but worse than that was a few months ago when my mom and brother were mentioning to me about Hide and I'd said that even if he'd gotten to belive that the bird pooping on you superstition and to the vets in time the vet had said over the phone that he might have to put Hide down anyway. The most hurtful thing was that my much older (adult) brother started making fun saying he could have saved me some money on euthanasia and coming up with ways he could have killed my bird for me whilst my mom just sat there and laughed. I just stayed quiet and stared down at the coffee table.

After a while my brother calmed down, apologised and annoyedly told me to stop taking things so seriously. When his dog was put down he was an emotional reck for ages and I was there for him, even now he can't talk about his old d without getting upset so why the hell did he think it was alright to make fun of my bird, he saw how upset I was about Hide's death.

What also hurt was my sister phoning up about half an hour after Hide died, I told her what had just happened, she hmmed and then asked if I was planning on getting a new one, I coldly asked 'what is the point of you?' and handed the phone to my mom who complained loudly at me but I just ignored her.

At the end of the day I know non-bird people can't fully understand what people who lost a close pet are going through, but is it really that difficult to at least attempt a bit of sympathy or tactfulness. I thought the worse part would be missing Hide, and in some ways it is but in others it's more the fact that it seems if it weren't for me no one would care that he even existed in the first place.

Sorry everyone I just needed a bit of a rant.

I know this is coming out of nowhere after all this time, but what you said really resonated with me. I had a similar experience that just shocked me.

A few days ago, I lost my parrot Minnie. She seemed under the weather but I was sick too, so I asked my brothers to take her to the vet. They just brushed it off saying she's "just a bird." Later on, she passed.

I can't believe how some people act, especially family. They just didn't care at all. I don't know if I'll ever get over it. I am so devastated....
flymehigh
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Macaws, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Uncaring family surrounding a beautiful bird's death

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:55 am

First of all, I am soooo sorry for your loss! I have learned never to rely on others for my animals. There is just too many people who do not regard animals the way they should... especially birds. The 'it's just a bird' is nothing but both ignorance and lack of empathy and I am sorry your brothers are like that.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales