Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Art

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Bird Art

Postby galeriagila » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:47 pm

My own art is quite contemporary, but I have always admired the amazing bird illustrations done by the English artist and author Edward Lear.(1812-88). He is most famous for his prints of parrots and toucans. I have one of his original signed toucans on my mantle. He also loved nonsense poems and humor... he wrote "The Owl and the Pussycat", for instance.

Here are a couple of examples in the Rickeybird's scrapbook. I've had them for years. Of course, both are Rickeybirds!

Reproduction of a print from the most rare and valuable series of Lear parrots, "Illustrations of the Family of Psittacidae", 1830-2. This one is post-card size; the original folios are about 23 x 25 inches.
Note that a Rickeybird was called Patagonian parakeet-macaw (Psittacara patagonica). Today, they are Patagonian Conures (Cyanolesius patagonus). They're called Loros Barranqueros (Burrowing Parrots) in their native land.

This print is authentic, and mine. It's a small octavo print, about 4 x 7 inches. It's a hand-colored steel engraving from the 1836 volume of parrots in "The Naturalist's Library". By this time, a Rickeyburd was called a Patagonian Arara (Arara patagonica).
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird Art

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:51 pm

Great prints ! Still although they are recognisable for what they are there is quite a difference in the artistic expression and neither do the actual bird justice. Just my opinion.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby galeriagila » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:26 pm

Interesting... I agree!
Of course, I had to have the Rickeybird's likenesses, so that's what goes in his scrapbook...
But I have always thought his toucans are the best of his work. The market generally agrees: they're the most sought-after.
I'll post some pics of my mantle-treasure tomorrow.
:)
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby galeriagila » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:00 pm

My toucan

Big view
Close-up
Some background I found
Closeup

galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:35 am

Beautiful!!! But, just as an FYI, 'Barranquero' doesn't mean burrowing, literally, it means 'canyon dweller' .
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:40 am

Thank you!!!!
Canyon dweller... I love that!
Totally describes his comfort at low levels in his environment.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:06 am

It comes from the word 'barranca' which means small canyon and they are called that because they make their nests on the sides of the barrancas and always live nearby (remember that the book said that they go almost every day outside breeding season to check on the nests?)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:10 pm

I do remember.
I'm only HALF Mexican, so I only speak Spanish about halfway. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!
I had read about the very basics of their limestone burrows, but since I've sort of had my Patagonia renaissance here, I've found some amazing footage of his cousins in Patagonia. Here's one I love. It shows a lot of burrow-related behaviors... pairs, interlopers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfjn__7btqI
This is a really pretty piece I just now ran across.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q1MD8GYOCU
Makes my heart soar to watch them!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:27 am

NICE!!!! What a racket they were making on the first one, eh? :lol: And did you hear what the biologist said: that they stay in the darkness of the nest for two whole months and their parents feed them for another 4 after they start coming out - imagine that! Breeders take them out of the dark nests and expose them to light at 3 weeks, messing up their vision in the process, and wean them at 10 weeks of age, 14 whole weeks before the parents do in the wild, the poor babies!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby galeriagila » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:36 am

It's horrifying. I don't know how any domestic babes survive... they must have an incredible life force. I know that the RB was weaned at about ten weeks, sold to a bird-store at about 11 weeks, and I bought him at 12 weeks. He should barely have been out of the dark when he was weaned, and then he was sent out into the world alone shortly thereafter. His wings weren't trimmed because they hadn't even grown in fully. His tail, which is about 8 inches long now, was maybe 4-5 inches. Poor, poor baby. I eventually tracked down the breeder and she told me there were three babies. I often wonder what became of them, and their parents, who were wild-caught. Makes me cry if I think about it long enough. I'm just determined to give my darling the best life imaginable life, not just for him, but in memory of his lost family.

On a lighter note... MANNNNN, Rickeybirds live in dry, windy places, don't they???? No wonder he loves to be blow-dried after a bath. It might well not be good for other parrots, but his little beady eyes practically roll back in his head in ecstasy as he leans into the blast!
galeriagila
Amazon

Next

Return to Parrot Tales