Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Petland Sadists

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Petland Sadists

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 pm

I stopped by a Petland to pick up some ladders for some new training props I'm working on. While browsing the minuscule bird section I was just horrified by what I was hearing coming from the little bird room in the back.

All three of the employees were gathered around the back where they keep the budgies and other small birds. They were all laughing as one was talking about how "we should clip one wing and watch how he flies" and "we'll see about biting after we cut your wings." I put back the stuff I was going to buy and walked out. I was contemplating complaining to the manager when I realized the manager was back there with them as this was all going on. I ended up just leaving. I probably should have said something but I was just so dumbfounded by the cruelty that I couldn't think of what to say at the moment.

It's not even that clipping a single wing is in itself necessarily a cruel act. I could understand it being done for a scientific experiment about lift or something like that. But when the intent is purely for retaliation or personal amusement, that is disgusting. So there's my little run in with the cruelty of crappy pet stores.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Petland Sadists

Postby pchela » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:54 pm

That's appalling. I wish there was something that could be done. I wonder if a letter to corporate would have any effect? Probably not. Sometimes, I just really hate people.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby born2fly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm

Horrible, you should call corporate and really give it to them.
"If man can save the parrots, he may yet save himself"
Mike Reynolds, World Parrot Trust Founder
http://www.parrots.org
:gcc: - WALL-E :redbelly: - Buddy
born2fly
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure (M)
Red-bellied Parrot (M)

Postby Jenny » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:23 pm

sadly, the majority of humans disgust me. I often think about how much better the planet would be w/o us.

If you mentioned not just the loss of your business, but your ability to communicate what happened to a large number of pet owners (us) who would likely refuse to ever frequent their stores, it might get their attention. It's possible that the manager might be let go, & that might aide in the future hiring of more compassionate employees at that location.
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Mr.Darcy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:18 pm

I think a polite complaint is necessary. If we don't express our concern, the staff will never recieve correction and the birds will not benefit. I think it is your "duty" to complain.....IMHO
Marlies
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 pm

Marlies, I was on a very similar tear, he's what i was typing while you posted!

I would complain. Not all employess at all "big box" pet stores are like this. I don't think Scooter had the best situation there, but one of the girls was almost in tears when we took him and they still occasionally remember to ask after him when I stop by. His wings were unclipped, but I think they just don't take that on, they have an air lock at the cage entrance so it is easier not to.

Look, I actually believe most people are ignorant, not cruel. The ones that are cruel you can't do much for, but if you try to educate the others without being overly confrontational, sometimes you can make change happen.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby ptuga72 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:29 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Marlies, I was on a very similar tear, he's what i was typing while you posted!

I would complain. Not all employess at all "big box" pet stores are like this. I don't think Scooter had the best situation there, but one of the girls was almost in tears when we took him and they still occasionally remember to ask after him when I stop by. His wings were unclipped, but I think they just don't take that on, they have an air lock at the cage entrance so it is easier not to.

Look, I actually believe most people are ignorant, not cruel. The ones that are cruel you can't do much for, but if you try to educate the others without being overly confrontational, sometimes you can make change happen.

and much can be said about group mentality and responsibility, just look at the Stanford Prison Project, among others. Many times people do things as part of a group, only to think back and realize how stupid they acted.

The Petland where I got Jake actually had wonderful employees that genuinely cared about the animals. They (imho) were not a reflection of the Petland corporation. The couple of times I complained or made suggestions to the manager, I was listened to and sometimes changes were made. The Petland corporation is one that is notorious for its use of animal mills and sale of underage and/sick animals, but at the individual stores, many workers are kind animal lovers that will listen to you. I would complain, maybe even talk to the other manager (most retail stores have more than one).

Jenny- that is what happened to the Petland where I bought Jake. There were so many protesters that the store closed. It was only open for 10 months.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby zazanomore » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:30 pm

pchela wrote:That's appalling. I wish there was something that could be done. I wonder if a letter to corporate would have any effect? Probably not. Sometimes, I just really hate people.

Never underestimate the power of One.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby notscaredtodance » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:52 pm

Yeah. Story of my life. We get our birds from a mill- I know because we also get hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, mice, and rats from this same place. What dedicated breeder has time to give the proper care of all of these different species?

Anyways, the guy who drives the truck that delivers the animals put the birds away one time. Usually I do it, and I reach into the little plastic boxes and grab the parakeets, and like, 60% of the time I get bit, but it's a tiny beak and I'd rather have them handled gently by a hand rather than a giant canvas glove clutching them. Anyways, one day he had to do it, and he held the cage door open, put the plastic container up to it with its door open, and banged on the bottom of the box until they flew out and into the cage. Just today he took the cage off the cart and dropped it from 3 feet high, onto the ground. I was appalled.

I could give you guys, literally, hundreds of petstore horror stories. Our birds are relatively well taken care of, except overcrowding with budgies and finches.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby zazanomore » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:00 pm

notscaredtodance wrote:Yeah. Story of my life. We get our birds from a mill- I know because we also get hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, mice, and rats from this same place. What dedicated breeder has time to give the proper care of all of these different species?

Anyways, the guy who drives the truck that delivers the animals put the birds away one time. Usually I do it, and I reach into the little plastic boxes and grab the parakeets, and like, 60% of the time I get bit, but it's a tiny beak and I'd rather have them handled gently by a hand rather than a giant canvas glove clutching them. Anyways, one day he had to do it, and he held the cage door open, put the plastic container up to it with its door open, and banged on the bottom of the box until they flew out and into the cage. Just today he took the cage off the cart and dropped it from 3 feet high, onto the ground. I was appalled.

I could give you guys, literally, hundreds of petstore horror stories. Our birds are relatively well taken care of, except overcrowding with budgies and finches.

Ever considered quitting? I wouldn't be able to work in a place that treats it's animals badly. Take a stand against the metaphorical 'Man'.

I got my budgies from petsmart, but I've heard good things about it. Whenever I go there, I never see unhealthy animals. The birds have bright eyes, and the cages are never too crowded.

If I ever do buy another budgie, I think I will probably get one from a breeder. Most of the time you can buy them cheaper from a breeder than from the petstores.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Next

Return to Parrot Tales