Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

i fell in love today......with a cockatiel

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

i fell in love today......with a cockatiel

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:02 am

ok i didn't have my camera with me but i wanted to share this story anyway, today i went to a chain pet store (which i avoid for obvious reasons) but my thermometer on my fish tank broke so i needed to get another asap. in the fish section they had a small birdcage (smaller than my budgies) that had all the doors open with 4 pied cockatiels sitting on top, heavily clipped and trying to reach onto everyone that walked past. i put my hand up to pat one of them and he quick took the chance to jump onto my hand and run up my arm and started preening my hair. these cockatiels were only just weaned and i think they were just not getting the attention they need and were desperate for the affection a baby needs. i only let one on my but another wanted to come onto me also trying to reach to me but unconfident (VERY HEAVILY) clipped. (I also thought it was weird because they were in the fish section not the bird section BUT the fish section is right next to the counter

lets just sayyyy if i didn't have a lorikeet and a budgie this post pay have been titles differently, but then again i probably wouldn't of bought it because thats what they want is for you to fall in love and take them home MONEY MONEY

the lady at the counter actually said to me 'the cockatiels are to die for arent they' i just said yea they are and she started talking about there needs and stuff so i just said yea i own a rainbow lorikeet and a budgie she was like ooohhhhh thats very cool. so got the point i wasn't going to buy the cockatiel
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: i fell in love today......with a cockatiel

Postby Margaret » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 am

You never know,
I have 4 budgies and I was thinking that's it. My boyfriend was constantly torturing me by telling stories about his previous Cockatiel. When one day I sad finally OK, I thought that I was going to adopt one.
I did the research and one day I went to our favorite pet store(exotic animals) where they really care or at least we have good experience with animals from them(bunny was with me about 9-10 years).

I saw :greycockatiel: Chico and that was it. I took her home + cage+ food + toys and all the equipment. No regrets :D

Yes, they make you fall in love at first look!
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby TheNzJessie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 am

yea i have university next year even though its distant learning (form home) only 15 days of the year actually at uni my hands will be tied with 2 birds i had the cash honestly in my pocket for another cage and the cockatiel (Pay day for the win) it was very hard walking out of the store without the cockatiel as i have soft spot for them in the first place, but i would honestly not buy one from this store. i applied for a job there when they were hiring and there excuse was

i have had previous pet store experience and they want someone they can train. more like we dont want someone with the knowledge of what animals need and dont see how practices.

i really only went there for an emergency i need my fish tank thermometer working coming into winter =p
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby kaylayuh » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:25 am

If I hadn't gotten my GCC, I would have gotten a cockatiel. In fact, I still want a cockatiel and plan to add one to my flock one day. But I also have plans to add a lot of other birds to my flock, so...
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby zazanomore » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32 am

I was in a small pet store in the mall, and there was this cute little pearl cockatiel. I fell in love with her (I assumed it was a her). Instead of shopping (which I hate :P) I stayed by her cage interacting with her.

She was a lot smaller than my Einstein, and had the sweetest little baby face.

I knew I couldn't bring her home with me, as I didn't have the means to. And also know that the pet store over priced them. It broke my heart to leave her.

Cockatiels are such sweeties. I can really tell that Einstein cares about me. Whenever I'm gone for more than an hour, he always welcomes me by leaping onto me and snuggling.

It's really a shame that they are over looked by so many people looking for a parrot.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby GlassOnion » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 am

Cockatiels are such sweet birds, they rarely become seriously hormonal or do they cause severe damage to you. I think when a product (in this case) becomes available so easily and in copious numbers, the prices drop, and people take its value for granted.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Margaret » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:42 pm

kaylayuh wrote:If I hadn't gotten my GCC, I would have gotten a cockatiel. In fact, I still want a cockatiel and plan to add one to my flock one day. But I also have plans to add a lot of other birds to my flock, so...

I remember that, I didn't read everything and was sure you was adopting Cockatiel. At almost the same time I've got Chico-Tiel.

The funny thing is that I'm thinking about GCC more and more :lol:
Margaret
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby captwest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:14 am

I think that everyone who knows a bird should have a cockatiel, they are the best birds.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby greymatter » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:39 am

Cockatiels are quirky and have awesome big personalities :)

The babies are SOOO cute though when they're near weaning or just weaned, and have this happy little chirp - so easy to fall in love with.

Stryder has strong likes and dislikes, and just enjoys hanging out with us or bossing Merlin (our grey) around :D
"You be good...I love you...see you tomorrow" - Alex the Grey
greymatter
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot, Caique, Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Tales