Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Blackbird

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

The Blackbird

Postby Chris&Akilah » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Akila is an avid bird-watcher. Just like me, except he's limited to the backyard bird feeder ;). His favourite bird to mimic is the Red-winged Blackbird, he mimics their contact and alarm calls. Not the male's territorial call though. One of the noises is a bit annoying, but it's still neat how he mimics them. The feeder is about 6' from the window, so he gets a great view. Sometimes the birds even land on the windowsill right in front of him. I'm not sure if it's the same male redwing that keeps coming back to the feeder...but almost every day Akila seems to have a "conversation" with him. Today was no exception. They were both making a high-pitched noise back and forth. I was watching tv, then I hear a "THUD" on the window! :shock: The blackbird flew into the window!!! Akila freaked and flew to the floor. I ran outside and the blackbird was sitting there, dazed, but when I took a step towards him, he flew away. I hope he was ok, poor thing :( . It was quite a shock to all of us!! I really can't say if it was Akila's mimicking of the blackbird that caused this, but it sure seemed like it. Lets hope it never happens again!
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: The Blackbird

Postby theparrotletdude » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Oh noo! Once a wren did this because of my benry and chase. Freaked out but alright .uckily :shock:
Hi! You can visit my parrotlets, Benry and Chase, at: http://www.benryandchase.webs.com . Thanks!
theparrotletdude
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlets
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Sweetie :pied: had a mate that got out and flew away. She was lonesome. Before I got Shadow :greycockatiel: a male Cardinal would come on the back deck right outside the sunroom window. It was summer, the windows were open and they made friends. So much so that Sweetie learned to speak Cardinal. Her noises change when he was there.

He was not attracted by a feeder. It was on the other side of the house.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby zazanomore » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 am

That's so sweet :)

I've had crows fly up next to my window. It always freaks the birds out, and it's kind of creepy waking up to a crow watching you through the window.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Return to Parrot Tales