Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My Relationship with Bonnie

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

My Relationship with Bonnie

Postby zazanomore » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:33 am

As many of you know, my budgies are only semi-tame. They aren't my companion, but they step up when asked to, and will fly over to me to play with my clothes and preen my hair.

When I first brought them home over a year ago, Bonnie wanted nothing to do with me. It was actually Clyde who warmed up to me first.

I remember the first couple times I held Bonnie, she gave me some pretty hard nips.

But has time went by, they just became more and more comfortable around me.

I began to let to let their wings grow out, and that really helped them gain more confidence. Then Einstein came into the picture, and I guess seeing him with me all the time helped them begin to trust me more and more.

Early this year I bought flight cages for all the birds and I started working on more and more areas for them to play outside of the cage.

Lately, me and Bonnie have really started to build a special relationship.

She flies over to me, and I begin to tell her how beautiful "my little Bonbons is". She lives for it. She looks at me, and begins fluffing her feathers, and she'll just soak up all the attention. She begins to close her eyes and clicking her beak.

She may not be as tame as Einstein, but there is no doubt she considers me a part of the flock and enjoys my company.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: My Relationship with Bonnie

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:51 pm

i love budgies, bonnie sounds like shes a little sweetheart now
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby zazanomore » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I don't understand how people can be so careless when it comes to budgies.
zazanomore
African Grey

Budgies

Postby Mum2rory » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 am

Hi Zazanomore, I am in the same boat as you. Got my first (pet store) budgie, spent heaps of time with him but knew nothing about training etc. A few weeks later got a 2nd budgie (breeder, this time). Well, they bonded with each other instead of me. Had them in a smallish cage till a few months ago. I would let them out to fly around, they would step up onto a perch to go back to cage after a good fly around. I would sit near them, talk to them etc etc but they only had eyes for each other. A few months back, I brought them a huge indoor cage, put them in it now they dont want to come out no matter how hard I try to encourage them. A couple of weeks after the new cage, I got my baby tiel who is very happy with me and being out of his cage and doing his own thing. The budgies watch our interactions all the time and now I can put my hand in their cage and they will accept millet from me and dont seem as "worried" by me being in their space. So I get what you say about how yours are responding to you and your tiel cos my are starting to do the same. Tomorrow I plan to open both budgie and tiel cages, sit with the tiel and food and treats and try and encourtage the budgies out. I want to have a relationship with each of them. Both cages are in the family room (open plan living, between kitchen and lounge) so the 3 birds see all the daily activities and are part of family life, Hope I havent left it too late to re-connect with the budgies but your story gives me hope
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Postby zazanomore » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:00 am

It's taken me over a year to get to this point. You just need a lot of patience.
zazanomore
African Grey

Budgies

Postby Red Moppet » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:49 pm

That's awesome to hear! :) I don't know what it is but when they close their eyes and grind their beak while interacting with you is one of the best things in the world!
Red Moppet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Postby zazanomore » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:57 pm

I feel so privileged when she starts.

"This bird is choosing to interact with me"