Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Conrad's homecoming

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Conrad's homecoming

Postby sora no tori » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Today, I traveled two hours by car to collect the newest member of my family, Conrad, a :senegal: He put up a bit of a fuss when it was time to go into the carrier. He flew around the room several times, bumping into walls and sliding to the floor, only to take off again the moment I reached for him. The breeder again took the opportunity to remind me to beware of windows, doors, ceiling fans, and stoves. Once he was in the carrier, he mellowed out a great deal. When I first poked my fingers in to pet him, he took hold of it in his beak. At first it was gentle, then he squeezed like a vice and started to grind. You should all be proud, I winced, but I did not withdraw. Senegal parrot owners aren't kidding when they say the fight needs to be felt to be believed :lol: When he figured out that he'd get scritched if he didn't bite, he started to immediately present his head for scritches throughout the rest of the drive. (I was a passenger btw ;) ). We arrived home close to the time the store owner warned us he was used to falling asleep, so sure enough, he spent the last half hour or so of the trip nodding off. Finally, we arrived at home and opened up the carrier. The perch in the cage was attached to the door, so he was out when the carrier was opened. At first, he was hesitant to step up. But, once he did, we rewarded him by taking him over to his training perch and giving him some freshly-thawed, frozen vegetables, which he devoured hungrily. He was especially keen on the carrots, corn and peas, but the green beans didn't interest him much. It wasn't until we tried to place him on the floor that he took his first flight. It was astounding to see! with no more than a blast from his wings, he was airborne. He effortlessly did a lap around the apartment before coming to rest on the curtain rod. As I was reaching for the retrieval perch, my bf was reaching for him. Conrad came back down and flew into a wall--not hard--and came down to the floor. We picked him up and he hung out with us for the rest of the time I was tapping on windows and mirrors to show them to him. Finally, we took him to his cage. He was not at all interested in entering until we filled his food bowl and placed it inside. He ate like he was starving, then for some reason, pooped in his food bowl, forcing me to toss out the remaining food :roll: hope that was a fluke. Then he gave us quite the scare. I knew he was going to take off, when I tried to place him on my knee. What I didn't expect was for him to fly right up into the fan (which was off and disabled) and grab onto one of the cords. When he first landed there, I thought his leg was tangled. I was up and springing to his rescue without a thought in my head, when suddenly, he flew off again. Same ending: soft wall impact followed by the ground. He was again keen to just chill with us for the time being. There was one more lap around the living room that night, during which he landed on the air conditioner vent cover, the top of the cabinets, the blinds, the curtain rod again, and finally the couch. We just let him explore, grinning ear to ear and marveling at the sheer power in this little animal. We stuck out our arms and called his name a few times hoping to get lucky. No such beast :lol: By this point he was panting, uttering an adorably pathetic squeak/chirp like a cricket, and closing his eyes. It was time to let the baby sleep. Tomorrow, I'll wake up at the time to which he is accustomed, and start clicker conditioning as I feed him his morning meal. So far, I am happy with my decision to keep him unclipped. Flight is a truly marvelous thing to behold.
That's all for now. Until next time :D
Image Conrad- Senegal
My shoulder is not complete unless a bird is resting there.
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Conrad's homecoming

Postby laducockatiel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Sounds like quiet a story, congrats on Conrad! That is pretty much what ladu (my cockatiel) did the morning after he arrived at my house lol! Does conad get along with Logan?
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Well congrats. Don't worry too much about the crashing. Truman had to learn to fly in my home at first as well. I guess in your case Conrad is even worse off because he was not previously allowed to fly. Definitely take the opportunity in coming weeks to get him used to flying to where he belongs by doing lots of good things when he goes there.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby sora no tori » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:24 am

laducockatiel wrote: Does conad get along with Logan?
Not sure yet. Just to be safe, we are going to keep them apart for two weeks. Cross your fingers though. I'm hoping they'll be buddies :)
Micheal wrote:Definitely take the opportunity in coming weeks to get him used to flying to where he belongs by doing lots of good things when he goes there.
I'm definitely going to get on that soon. I did some clicker conditioning while on his training perch, but I don't think it's driven the point home quite yet. Turns out he loves veggies, so while he was there, I fed him some of those too. I'm trying to teach him that being on that perch means treats. And about those crashes: he's not hitting the walls hard at all. I've heard people tell horror stories about getting a new bird home and instantly ending up with a concussed bird. But I can see he slows down before he hits them. As you said, he just lacks control, but that will come with time. He's already flying to me. It's funny, I actually expected a bird that had the choice to not be with people to only eventually come to them. But, this is not even close to how it went down. He just randomly pops in on me to hang out. It's wonderful! It's like nothing I've ever experienced! :D
Image Conrad- Senegal
My shoulder is not complete unless a bird is resting there.
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby liz » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:29 am

Sora - you and Conrad are going to have fun as well as be friends. Your first day together was a real experience.

I was a little worried when I first brought Myrtle :amazon2: home that Rambo :amazon: would be mean to her. I have heard some awful stories. We were lucky that he just ignored her. She wanted to be friends at first sight and kept saying hello. He started answering but since that was the only word she had she wore it out. He finally asked her "You got a problem?'.

Rambo is teaching her to talk. They are not buddies but he likes to be in the same room with her. When he leaves the room she will call "Rambo comere". I am pleased and happy about their relationship.

I hope your kids do as well or better.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Sounds like my experience. I have a one year old Hahns Macaw and just got an 8 week old Meyer. Both are flighted. He is pretty good with her but he is always grabbing at her feet with his beak, she flies up and then comes back to him same thing again. She was pretty clumsy at first and also hit the wall a few times. But she has been with us for 3 weeks now and they fly like maniacs!!

they do laps around the house. it is pretty cool, because her wing span is a lot smaller than his, she actually flaps slowly...They will sit on a perch together and do tricks independantly, but my kids thinks she had a labotomy....poor little girl. He is like the abusive boyfriend that she keeps going back to....sie la vie.

She is not as smart as him, but she makes up for it because she is SO gentle.....so sweet....

good luck to you and your two chickens, I am sure they will be good friends soon...
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby liz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:25 am

It is more like big brother and baby sister. He thinks you brought her home for him to play with but she is such a baby that he pushes her to make her play. And she is still goofy because she is a baby but keeps going back to her big brother.

Myrtle is 1 year old but the equivalent of a 2 year old kid. When I watch her play it is like a toddler seeing how much it can do. Rambo on the other hand is a 20 but like a 5 year old "big boy" and can't understand why Myrtle is so goofy.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Tales