Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Conrad: potty trained and talking?!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Conrad: potty trained and talking?!

Postby sora no tori » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 pm

This was an amazing day for Conrad!
First of all, when I left him to go work in my psychology lab today, he didn't scream. He's been screaming less and less when I leave for classes as well. I guess he's finally figured out that there is a pattern to my coming and going: when I leave at this time, I'll always at this.

Then I got home after working in the lab and I open his cage. Instead of flying to my hand and letting me carry him into the other room to his training perch to go to the bathroom, he flies past me, down the hall, into the living room, land on his perch and goes to the bathroom. Eureka! Then not ten minutes later, I reached for a banana and he instantly flew to the coffee table; ready for harness training!

Finally, just moments ago, he said his first understandable word, "hello." :D I always let him roam freely while I'm in the shower because he likes to sit on top of the bathroom door and take advantage of the acoustics and the background noise to practice his vocalization. (He does a very convincing Logan. If I didn't know that Logan was in a different apartment, I'd swear it was him wolf-whistling and singing). Well, I turn the water off, step out of the tub, and Conrad looks down at me and greets me with, "Hello." :o He's not even four months old!

Looks like my little boy is a smarty ;)
Image Conrad- Senegal
My shoulder is not complete unless a bird is resting there.
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Conrad: potty trained and talking?!

Postby laducockatiel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:08 pm

wow! sounds like he is very smart :D you must have a good routine!
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby sora no tori » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:43 pm

You know, the crazy thing is up until this week I really haven't. I've been balancing classes, working in a psych lab, a part top job, and studying for the GRE. I let the job go to focus on school, but while I had that, my comings and goings were sporadic at best. My bf had to be the birdsitter everyday. It was hard on him and Conrad. Now Conrad gets thrice the outtime and he seems a lot happier.
Image Conrad- Senegal
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Postby cornettocockatiel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:35 am

Wow! I didn't know you could potty train birds! How long did it take?
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Postby sora no tori » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Well let me go ahead and note that what I've got going for Conrad isn't perfect yet. He does know that when I take him out of his cage and send him to his perch, the very first thing he should do it drop the bomb. :lol: As for getting him to just go on his own any subsequent time he's out of the cage, he's still pretty clueless. As for time, I've had him for a month and I was doing this on day one. You should definitely check out Michael's posts on the matter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGqKOdmxxno
You can follow the links in the description to the post on the forum.
Let me go ahead and add one personal comment though: I'm not entirely sure this will work for your cockatiels and budgies. Conrad usually has a good, twenty to thirty minutes between bowel movements, but my cockatiel, Logan, must go every ten minutes or so. Frequency alone might be an issue.

Hope that helps!
Image Conrad- Senegal
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Postby liz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:31 am

My kids :amazon: Rambo and :amazon2: Myrtle are both talkers, but whenever I hear the little voices say hello it just melts me. I realize that they consider Momma to be my name because that is what my daughter calls me, but I feel special when I here "Momma c'mere".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby sora no tori » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:31 pm

They sound precious. :D
Image Conrad- Senegal
sora no tori
Cockatiel

Postby Sarah » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:42 am

Good job with Conrad!

You can potty train a cockatiel, sort of. My guy is potty trained in that, if I offer him to go poop he will go right away. However if I forget to toilet him, he will just go ahead and poop on me. It doesnt happen often though. He says go poop before he needs to go a lot of the time, but sometimes, he says it after he as pooped on you...and then congratulates himself with good boy! They go so often that you have to be on the ball with training, and really watch your birds for signs he needs to go. I just sort of held him out on my hand over news paper and said go poop every time he needed to go. If he needs to he does, if he doesnt he just runs back up my arm.
Sarah
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Cockatiel
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:22 am

Sarah - I love it. You two have bonded so much that you have a true communication. Does he really say "go poop"? And "good boy" after he poops on you is a hoot.

I feel guilty not having more time to spend with my tiels. They need more out time but with the Amazons and Rachel's two cats, it is difficult. I will try today. I'll put the Amazons out of the sunroom and block the door so cats can't come in from outside so they can fly for a while. I let the love birds out at the same time and they form a new flock.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Sarah » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:23 am

Oh he really says go poop, does his business and then good boy when he has done so. It kills me when you dont catch him in time and then he says good boy for pooping on you!

He has quite the lexicon for such a little bird his words include : cockatiel, good boy, good birdy, give a kiss, step up, go poop and get down!. The last one he picked up from me telling the dog to get down off the couch. :lol: The other thing he does is whistle the andy grifiths theam song.

And to think somewhere I read cockatiels dont talk!
Sarah
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Cockatiel
Budgie

Next

Return to Parrot Tales