Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Echo's Gender

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Echo's Gender

Postby pfinarffle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:58 am

It's really worthwhile getting all pet birds DNA sexed (save for the sexually dimorphic ones that you can sex by appearance alone). You really don't want to think your bird is a male and find it dead from egg binding. Plus it's not exactly super expensive to do.

We too thought our Sennie was a female because of nesting behaviors. Turns out he is in fact a male. He just seems to really enjoy doing the male "territorial protecting the nest" thing. It can get quite dicey when he decides my red backpack or red lunch bag are suddenly his nest to protect til the end. :lol:

Makes you kind of wonder how the birds identify each other's sexes in the wild. Pheromones???
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Echo's Gender

Postby bluetree dna » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm a researcher running a small biotech company that provides DNA sexing of birds as one of our services, and this can be done from feather or blood analysis.

If interested please see my website: http://www.bluetreedna.com

I'm also open to any potential free analysis to help non-for-profit bird organizations/sanctuaries
bluetree dna
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales