Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

baby tiels

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

baby tiels

Postby liz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:46 pm

December 21 I heard a baby bird. When I looked their was a baby tiel and a new born baby too. They are adorable. The bigger one now has feathers enough to see it's pattern and is quite sociable. It lets me scratch it's dander loose any where on its body. When I put it back in the cage it stays on my hand for a while before joining it's parents. The little one has spikey feathers with a little mohawk on the top of it's head. It's too soon for scratches and too little to pick up very often.

Tommy and Tammy are proud parents and even got off the nest to show us what they had for the first time we looked. These two parents always sit on the first egg while waiting for the second. There were four in all but the tiniest died and one egg did not hatch.

The older one is yellow and gray with gray on it's back. It has more gray than the parents but beautiful. I can't wait to see what the other will look like.

Okay - I have rambled on. Just thought I would let you know.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: baby tiels

Postby WVUSAE » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:49 am

Did you have a nest box and all that? I'm afraid my birds will do that in the spring. My girl tiel (Jane) is just letting me start to pet her head and put her head down for a scratch.
WVUSAE
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels

Postby liz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am

Tommy and Tammy were already trying to nest. I seperated them to another cage and gave them a nest box.

There is no nesting material with my other four so hopefully they won't try. My tiels really like sex any time of year so hopefully that is all they are up to.

The cages are side by side and now that the babies have come out of the box the other four want them. I may have to put them back together. My little flockers like to take care of babies. It might be enough to stop their urge to nest.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Well this disproves tame tiels being able to care for babies.
The bigger baby stepped up last week. The little one stepped up for the first time tonight. Both are as tame as the parents.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby cornettocockatiel » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:36 am

Lovely story! Just in time for christmas too! Looks like ur parrots gave you the perfect christmas present, more parrots! :lol:
cornettocockatiel
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Chicken
Cockatiel

Return to Parrot Tales