Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Elliot: Path to Trust

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Elliot: Path to Trust

Postby footblock » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:30 am

The Following is the first entry I meant to post on the forum at http://www.mytoos.com, but I had difficulty successfully signing up, so my bird journal was delayed. On that forum there is a focus on behavior analysis, so I wrote my post accordingly. Since writing this I've already done a lot, and there's been a bit of improvement, which I will write about soon.

Janurary 7th, 2012

This is the first time I'm writing about Elliot, but not the first time I've thought about him. I want to start a log for personal use to document his behavior, and I want to share it to gain an outside perspective.

Elliot is a Citron Cockatoo :cockatoo: . Right now he's preening himself, while I listen to Andrew Bird. The lovebirds are chirping from the other room. I'm waiting for a call from my mother, with whom I plan to make a cage cover with later today.

Let's talk about Elliot's history.

This is at least Elliot's third home. I actually moved in recently, with my girlfriend M. She's had Elliot since the summer. His previous home was full of birds of many shapes and sizes. I never saw it personally, but apparently he wasn't happy there, despite the owner's tenured experience with birds. He initially responded favorably to M. She brought him home, and things continues to be quite favorable, unit the cat spooked him. He then became more fearful of her.

I've read about constructs, so I'll list the behaviors that fit under the "fearful of" construct now, to clarify.
*Very cautious of proximity
*Tends to find a way to be furthest away from
*Shakes/shivers
*Doesn't speak, mutter, or whistle

When I first arrived he was fearful of me, but was also quite curious. One day, when I was cleaning the kitchen floor, he walked up to me. I put out my arm on the floor as a branch, and he climbed up to my shoulder. We became bros that day. After that, when I came up to the cage, I could put a finger in, and he would interact with his beak and tongue. A week later, we opened his cage, and I foolishly reached my hand out to him, in the cage. I spooked him, and he became fearful of me. About 6 months has passed since then, and I moved into the house about a week ago. I love M, and M loves Elliot, so I'm determined to spend some time with Elliot. I want to build a healthy relationship with him, and to improve his behaviors and living conditions.

Elliot has been living in a spare room in the house, but we've decided it may be a good idea to move him into the living room, so that we can spend more time with him. The spare room is carpeted, west facing, and is becoming my office space. It's also fairly separated from the rest of the house, aside from the kitchen.

Elliot has several unfavorable behaviors. First and worst of all, he doesn't eat in front of humans. This means that using treats as a primary reinforcement is very difficult. I suspect that eventually I'll use a video camera to discover which treats he likes best, and I'll try to implement them some how.

Second, he doesn't like to leave his cage very much, and will never do it if he's being watched. He may or may not do it with someone in the room who's occupied with something else. Since he doesn't like being closely approached, getting him back in his cage is also difficult. . This means that getting him out of his cage is something that may take a whole day. It also means that actions such as feeding, water changing, and general cleaning are somewhat traumatic, with unwanted arms entering his cage repeatedly.

Elliot shakes frequently. This seems to be fear related, almost shiver like. However, since it's winter, I may try using a space heater to make the room warmer.

Elliot screams. The normal scenario for this is he'll hear one of us in the other room, and he'll begin to make a noise akin to loud meowing, every five seconds or so. Sometimes he'll stop with that. Other times he upgrades to full on screaming. We have responded to this in a few ways. One is that we'll close the door to his room. We're pretty sure this is the wrong thing to do. Another is that we'll get nervous about annoying the neighbors, and come sit in the room with him. We know this is wrong. The third thing we'll do is leave the house. We're pretty sure this is the right thing to do, but we can't leave just any time. The final thing we do, which we started to do recently, is responding to his calls with calls that we would prefer, such as whistles and 'hello'. This method has delivered favorable results two out of fifteen times, and has only worked with the meowing, not the screaming.

Elliot is not okay with M and me having physical contact. At first he livens up, which seems like a positive behavior, but then he'll charge/beak, and generally demonstrate offensive behavior. I don't foresee modifying this behavior, but maybe we'll get around to it later. In the mean time, We're going to avoid extended contact in front of him,

Elliot seems to have a pretty big problem with arms. He seems less fearful when I hold my hands together behind my back. Perhaps this makes me appear more bird like?

The cat mostly leaves Elliot alone. Elliot mostly just watches the cat when he's around. The lovebird's chirping may be disturbing to him, but that's hard to tell for sure.

Elliot is pretty adverse to the spray bottle. I'm not really sure how to go about showering him. Will do more reading.

Despite all of the problems I've listed, Elliot has shown a lot of promise. He likes to have someone to murmur untranslatably to, and he'll say a few key phrases, often at appropriate times. He'll 'here kitty kitty' when the cat is around, he'll laugh when someone's told a joke (coincidentally?). He'll also say 'hello' almost any time, and will sometimes whistle. The dog next door has taught him how to bark, which he does at an acceptable volume. His feathers are in good shape, and his curiosity is healthy.

So, in improving Elliot's life, my initial plans are to
*Develop his diet a little more
*Make more toys, provide more things for him to chew
*Make his environment warmer and his sleep darker

I'm also going to work on responding appropriately and respectfully to his behavior.

Any advice is appreciated, especially regarding how to reincorporate food as a primary reinforcement technique.

-C
footblock
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Citron Cockatoo
Lovebird(s)
Flight: Yes

Re: Elliot: Path to Trust

Postby felix11 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:09 am

Phew. Sounds like you have a tough road ahead. It does seem like taming/training Elliot would be a great way to make him feel more comfortable/secure and work through some of his problems. Have you read Michael's articles on target training?

It seems like you need to decide an order for dealing with Elliot's problems. I would probably start with the 'not eating in front of humans' issue first, so that you can use food treats to work through some other problems. I would try incrementally moving his cage further into a populated room before meal times. Hunger is a strong motivator. Start him out in a dark corner of the room and allow him to eat privately. Over a few weeks bring him closer and closer to humans while he is eating. If he is only given food in the presence of humans it will help.

Does he eat pellets at the moment, or seeds? Getting him on a pellet diet is the first step, then you can try to use seeds as treats. Most parrots love sunflower seeds as they are one of the highest in fat. Remember to train when Elliot is hungry - probably best first thing in the morning, before he has breakfast.

However, food treats aren't the only thing you can use as a reward for training - you said he has a healthy curiosity - does he like playing with foot toys? If so, you could use a favorite toy as a reward. Or even just some enthusiastic praise?

Once you have a reward system in place (food or whatever) you could begin target training. You need a clicker (or a good strong 'click' of the tongue) and a chopstick/pen/knitting needle/anything long and recognizable. Google 'target training' if you haven't already, it's pretty straight forward. It could take a while for Elliot to grasp the concept, but have patience and progress veerrrry slowly.

You said Elliot doesn't like arms, so I assume he doesn't step up. I would make this the first thing Elliot learns after he understands 'targeting', so that you can take him out of his cage when changing his food and avoid stressing him out. The least stressful way to teach 'step up' for Elliot would be using a stick rather than your hand. Many birds are much more comfortable on a branch than directly on someone's arm. Once Elliot is comfortable targeting from perch to perch within his cage, hold out a long branch/perch and target him onto that. Introduce him slowly to the idea that it's okay to sit on a branch that moves around.

On showering - have you offered Elliot a big shallow dish of water? Try leaving it somewhere he is comfortable (like in his cage). Offer him it every day for at least a week, so he can get used to the object. Hopefully he'll try it out!

On screaming - It is by far easiest to REPLACE screaming with another noise than it is to completely eradicate the behaviour. The meow seems like the most obvious choice as a replacement sound, as he already uses it as a contact call. When he meows, meow back, or go into his room to see him (if he likes that). Don't EVER respond to the screaming. Ever. The idea is to reinforce his meow while showing him that screaming doesn't EVER get a response. Eventually he will meow instead of scream. This is a hard one, could take a looong time. Be consistent!

I hope I said something useful. Keep us updated.
Felix
felix11
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Bellied Conure
Superb Parrot

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:06 am

hi, i've got a ducorps cockatoo, felix is right about the flock call/scream. i'll go downstairs and she'll scream i wait for her to start talking then resond back she loves to ask what are you doing so i'll answer it has lessened the screams. she has also chosen my boyfriend as her mate, he works nights and spends about 10 minutes a day with her,gives her no treats or food but i almost lost a finger one day when i had her on my shoulder and tried to sit next to him on the couch. since then i don't do that i come by when she's with him and scratch her head and move on,or we'll sit as far away from eachother and let her run/bounce back and forth between us until she gets more comfortable with us next to eachother that behavior is improving also. it just takes time and patiance you should also eat with them as they eat with their flocks put some on the side and put it in a dish,just find out which foods they can't have.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby footblock » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks Felix and Penny for your replies.

A month since my last entry, Elliot has had some major improvements.

The big impetus for most of his improvements, in my opinion, was moving him into the living room. Elliot gets a lot more attention now, but he also enjoys just being able to see what I'm up to. He has also not demonstrated any aggressive behavior towards M and me since the move. However, he does *not* like it when the lovebirds fly onto his cage.

In a literal sense, this move has decreased the screaming. Since he generally can see what people are up to, he doesn't feel the need to call. As far as my ears are concerned, this is an improvement. I've also taught him to say 'hello' to call for attention, rather than screaming. The down side is, if he calls me when I'm busy in another room, and I don't come, he reverts to screaming. Also, the screaming is more likely to be inadvertently reinforced due to me needing things from other rooms. My plan is to continue to avoid reinforcing screaming by not responding to said screams, and to develop his toy collection so that he's not so bored when I'm not around.

What's the best way to not 'respond' to screaming if he's in the same room? Do I pretend like he's not doing it, do I try to talk him down, or do I leave the room?

Elliot has become much more comfortable with eating in front of M and I, which is probably related to the increased amount of time he gets to spend with people now that he's in the front room. He really enjoys using plastic foraging toys, and will immediately go to them once they've been stocked (and once you get out of his space).

In the last week, Elliot has also started to explore the living room when we let him out in the morning. I always knew that this room wasn't parrot proofed, but these excursions have encouraged me to clean things up a little more. So far he's grabbed some things he shouldn't chew on (permanent marker, SD card) and he's made a power cord unsafe. In addition to parrot proofing the room more, I'm planning on surrounding his immediate are with cockatoo friendly things, such as toys and a stand.

In addition to general exploring, Elliot has come up to M and me on the couch, to nibble our shoes and blankets. Every time he does it, we hope that he'll climb up and join us on the couch. Today I moved the couch closer to his cage, so hopefully he'll come and hang out with us soon.

We haven't really made any food progress in the last month. His feed is a heterogeneous mixture of dried fruit, seeds, nuts, and beans. We also put nuts that are still in their shells into his foraging toys. He gets vegetables a few times a week. I've been reading about parrot diet recently, so I have the idea that he could use some more variation. I bought a non-non-stick pan so that I can cook for him, so that'll start happening in the next few weeks.

The cage cover has been a huge success. It's on the cage between roughly 9pm and 9am, during which time he has never screamed, and only made quiet sounds if he's disturbed at night. More amazingly, when I put the cover on at night, he'll interact with me physically, which he doesn't really do at any other time. At first he would nibble on my ear, and generally preen my face, but he's worked put to my giving him head scritches. He has very distinct body language for when he wants scritches. He'll put the side of his face up to the cage, and start scratching himself gently with one of this bird-hands. Eventually he'll get tired of it, and he'll crawl to the space that's already covered, and I'll finish snapping the cover on.

Snaps. Elliot has done some serious damage to the cover, in the form of removing snaps. Let this be a lesson. Most of the front snaps are okay though, which are really the only ones that every need to be unsnapped, so we'll probably end up sewing the other pieces of it together. Initially we wanted to have it in separate parts for machine-washing purposes, but we can always wash it in the tub.

@Felix
* I haven't read anything about target training. Will do.
* Right now I leave his remaining food in with him at night. Should I remove it when I put the cover on, in order to maximize morning training?
*I'm not sure if he has a favorite toy, or how to use a toy as a reward.
*I'll try that shallow dish.
footblock
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Citron Cockatoo
Lovebird(s)

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 pm

hi, the best way i found to stop mya from screaming while i'm in the room is to put my head down so she knows she's not going to get any reaction/attention.i can't even remember the last time she screamed when i'm there the hard part is training my 6yr old human child to stop responding to her while i'm downstairs in the kitchen. have you tried eating with your bird?we eat with them it helps to get them eating fruits and veggies that we eat they always eye our plates before their dishes to make sure they have the same.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Return to Parrot Tales