Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What is it like owning a Macaw?

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: What is it like owning a Macaw?

Postby DanielA » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 am

GlassOnion wrote:I know of and have seen many cases where Macaws mature, become one-person birds and attack family members and even their chosen one. A lady I know around here, she took in a Macaw who loved her so much that in the attempt to *protect* the lady from her husband, the Macaw bit her through her hand.

See? More experience.
DanielA
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Postby Tarkus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 pm

DanielA wrote:
GlassOnion wrote:I know of and have seen many cases where Macaws mature, become one-person birds and attack family members and even their chosen one. A lady I know around here, she took in a Macaw who loved her so much that in the attempt to *protect* the lady from her husband, the Macaw bit her through her hand.

See? More experience.

That can happen with any bird. I have had birds for 50 years and never had a situation as noted that I couldn't fix. Put in the time and the problems will be minimized.

I also currently have a Catalina and she is the sweetest most even tempered bird I have ever been around. She also is strangely quite, no complaints here !

Be Big,
Alan
Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software.We apologize for any errors.
Tarkus
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Catalina Macaw, U2

Postby terri » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Tarkus Hi I own a Catalina also .I enjoyed reading your post on how you got her.I know it was awhile back [but I just found this site].I think its interesting how you describe her [How she is now ] My girl sounds just like her.IM in awe at how great she is ! I dont know any other macaw owners around me to experience theirs .Harlows quiet,[my caiques and lory are the loud ones] very easy going , she plays but doesnt chew like I thought she would.Do you think its something to do with the certain Hybrid mix or that their females? Also I think I read you used to own a caique that lived 30 some years[I own 2] Ive read very different life expectancys on them . Well bye for now next time I want to know about you rescueing and rehoming birds!
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales