Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

San Jose Bird Mart Review **Pic Heavy**

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

San Jose Bird Mart Review **Pic Heavy**

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I spent the morning at the San Jose Bird Mart in Ca today. Overall a great time and wanted to share my experience with everyone!

Cost:
Entry was $9 and parking was $8. Overall a tad pricey but the parking lot was close to the building and it was hot so i treated myself :)

Food:
There was a concession stand in the building but i didn't purchase anything- looked like the usual fair food- hot dogs, burgers, nachos, cokes etc.

Crowds:
There were a LOT of people there. I arrived at about 9:20 and the crowds inside the building were big. For the first hour or so of the show I shuffled up and down the isles looking and avoiding being stepped on. After an hour or so the initial rush died down and the crowds were pretty consistent but not overly so.

Most of the people were carrying travel cages and carriers when they arrived. Some people brought birds in with the to try and trade with vendors.

Birds:
As expected for a bird mart there were A LOT of birds for sale! Most of those available were canaries, Cockatiels, Finches, and Parakeets. I saw quite a few GCC, 5 Sun Conures and roughly 15 Indian Ringnecks, 4 African greys, and 4 Goffin Cockatoos and 1 Rose breasted cockatoo. There were 2 female and 1 male Eclectus and several species that I wasn't familiar with- no Macaws or larger Cockatoos.The show had 1 Black Headed Caique that didn't look in great condition.

Most of the birds at the show appeared to be in good shape, despite the cramped cages and being afraid/nervous. Out of the hundreds of birds I saw the BHC has roughed up feathers and a few bald patches, and one Green Cheek Conure had a bad head from the female plucking it (according to the man). A lot of people seemed to be buying finches and canaries though I saw several people purchase Conures as well. 2 of the African greys also sold. There were several unweaned babies present but all of them clearly said not for sale per CA law. They were simply there to be fed.

Other Animals:
There were several puppies for sale, as well as some bunnies and guinea pigs. These animals appeared to be in good shape and had plenty of food and water as well.

Toys:
Toys toys EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! I died and went to heaven right there! Most of the venders had sales and discounts on ALREADY discounted items. I got 3 large swings for $15! I ended up walking out of the show today with about 20 toys, 1 perch, 3 swings, and 1 hammock and only spent $100 for everything.

The selection was fantastic- a ton of wood, rope, acrylic and everything other material you could imagine. Small, medium, large, and extra large toys, swings, foot toys, foraging toys, and hammocks/climbing nets. One vendor secured some toys parts with staples, so I would keep an eye out for how toys are made.....I avoided those ones :)

Bird Food/treats:
Several of the vendors were selling different seed mixes as well as vitamins, nut mixes, and millets. there were also mineral and salt blocks and cuttlebones available too. I didn't spend too much time looking at the nuts and food since I wasn't in the market for any- but the selection looked good and prices were Cheap.

Overall I would say this is a great little bird mart. The animals were in fairly good shape all things considered- plenty of food and water for all and only a small few with visible issues. While I would be cautious about purchasing a bird from this mart, I cannot say anything bad about the toys (providing materials were safe) and the prices! I will be heading back in the future! :P
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Re: San Jose Bird Mart Review **Pic Heavy**

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Postby Munchy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Sounds like fun,
I almost went but short of funds and I do not want to go to a bird fair unless I have plenty to buy with. :lol:
Plus I might come home with an impulse buy and that would not be good! :hatching:
But maybe I'll make it to the one in Pleasanton?
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Yeah I spent a fair bit......but compared to what I saved it was money well spent! I can't wait for the Pleasanton show- I'll definitely be going :swaying:
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Postby Sparky » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Wow that's great to see, thanks for sharing! I could spend hours in a place like that :D
Jess and Sparky the IRN
Sparky
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck.
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Tales