Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bringing Basil Home

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Bringing Basil Home

Postby basilbird2012 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:01 pm

[color=#4000BF] :senegal: So yesterday I left my home in NJ to go to New Hampshire to get my Senegal Basil.. I stayed at a hotel that wasn't pet friendly, so I did a few things up there Saturday which I wouldn't have been able to do if I picked Basil up right away. Well I woke up this morning more nervous than anything. I was worrying if Basil would take to us or were we gonna have to work slow to gain his trust. Well Basil steped right up, sat on my shoulder, played with my glasses. I let the breeders Michele and Greg hold him while we were there because it was the last time they would see him in person. Although if they were ever in the area I would hope they would let me know and I would set something up for them to see him. Well we left and got in the car, his carrier had a water dish which he promptly flipped over. I noticed him bleeding and it was his nail. They had just clipped and did his toes. One must have been a little too short and it broke open. No big deal though, it stopped in like a minute. He didn't want to be in his carrier, well maybe a part of me didn't want him in there either...lol but when I finished cleaning his nail he climbed right up on my shoulder and fell asleep. I'm asumming that he felt quite comfortable. He didn't fly around the car or nothing. I felt an instant bond with him. The drive went super and when we got into the house I put Basil in his new cage. He didn't know what to do for awhile I guess he was just figuring things out. As I sat on the couch and watched him I thought to myself let's try target training, and using the clicker. Basil wasn't stressed one bit and caught on very fast! He did it several times. I didn't want to go too long, he was tired from the long day he had. I placed him back in the cage and said good night. I can't tell you how much love poured into my heart today interacting with my boy for the first time today. He ate apples and dried aprocots. For the first time today, and he just ate it. He is a very calm mellow inquisitive little guy. I don't believe he was stressed once. He just fit right in. I can't believe he is finally here after waiting from egg to ween and only seeing him thru pics and vids the whole time. I can't wait till tomorrow morning when I can interact with him again. Tomorrow is his first vet visit with my vet. I am going to have him sexed. At this point it doesn't matter if he is a boy or girl. He/she is perfect anyway Basil is. My life brightened today. Things were ment to be. Basil is amazing. Not afraid of anything. He even took to me dogs instantly.. ill post some vids soon of our life together. /color]
basilbird2012
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet
Senegal
Finches
Flight: Yes

Re: Bringing Basil Home

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Awesome, congrats! :senegal:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby terri » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Wonderful story [great when they bond to you!] Always wondered how it would be to choose a bird through pictures and long distance.Sounds like things are going to be great.Im excited for you!! :D
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby DanielA » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:41 pm

terri wrote:Wonderful story [great when they bond to you!] Always wondered how it would be to choose a bird through pictures and long distance.Sounds like things are going to be great.Im excited for you!! :D

I think it would be difficult for me to decide for a bird long-distance except if it was a rescue. :thumbsup:
DanielA
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-Faced Lovebirds

Postby basilbird2012 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 pm

Actually I didn't find him thru pics and distance.. I researched all parrots and found which breed would be the parrot for me! When I read up on the senegal I knew it was a match. I then started looking for breeders and not parrot store where they aren't handled and too old to bond quickly with their owners who then leave them in a cage and then the feather plucking starts etc... then the owner gives the bird away cause it didn't bond quickly enough.. there was only a small list of breeders in my area and the one I chose had the best customer feedback and answered all my questions for me before I bought. He doesn't just sell a bird to anyone. He phone interviews them almost like a shelter/foster would. The way Basil is so tame and loving is in all what the breeder did. He handled my chick like it was his own baby parrot and that is why Basil came out the way he has. No fear of anything at all. Just simply amazing!!
basilbird2012
Parakeet

Senegal
Finches

Postby basilbird2012 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:21 pm

I tried to get a bird thru a rescue first. The lady was a wackjob! she told me I cant have the parrot that I want cause Ive only owned parrotlets.. I said r u for real? I am a 34yr old responsible adult that is able to take on a bird. its not a decision based on a whim, Ive done my research and know what I can hanlde. Just because I dont know the scientific name of a certain species doesnt mean I am going to be a bad parrot parent. she insulted me basically, but she was most likely a hoarder of animals and just couldnt let them go. I said well I tried, but you basically have written me off, and I will now go and purchase the bird I want. I wrote a letter to the rescue about what the wackjob did and they were flabergasted!!! maybe she should not be working with these bird if she cant let one go to a GREAT home. I spent 3 grand on toys and cages and the bird itself. He has everything he needs and a loving daddy that wants to give him the best life I can. I guess that was a quality she didnt like..lmao!!
basilbird2012
Parakeet

Senegal
Finches

Postby cml » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:07 pm

basilbird2012 wrote:I tried to get a bird thru a rescue first. The lady was a wackjob! she told me I cant have the parrot that I want cause Ive only owned parrotlets.. I said r u for real? I am a 34yr old responsible adult that is able to take on a bird.

This is common where I am for the "rescues" that are driven by regular people, and not "foundations" or the like (and I know of only one such, and that isnt a rescue but a rehoming foundation, they only help finding new homes). I tried contacting a supposed "rescue" but they never got back to me, and through browsing around the web I found that they sometimes sold parrots that they charged for taking in, after stating they were given a life long home!

It's sad, because there are a lot of parrots out there that could use a new home! I am glad to read on these forums that in many countries there are infact rescues that work :) !

I am all for rescues, but I wouldnt want to support some of them, some arent really doing whats best for the parrots at all!

terri wrote:Wonderful story [great when they bond to you!] Always wondered how it would be to choose a bird through pictures and long distance.Sounds like things are going to be great.Im excited for you!! :D

We got Leroy in this way, since our breeder for him was about 500miles away, and I couldnt go there for more than the pick up, we got to see pictures of his three bronze winged pionuses, and I asked him to choose the one which was the calmest, and also that was male.
He is such a sweet parrot, it worked out great :) !
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 pm

basilbird2012 wrote:I tried to get a bird thru a rescue first. The lady was a wackjob! she told me I cant have the parrot that I want cause Ive only owned parrotlets.. I said r u for real? I am a 34yr old responsible adult that is able to take on a bird. its not a decision based on a whim, Ive done my research and know what I can hanlde.

Yeah, that's how it is sometimes. The crazy thing is that it doesn't stop you from getting a bird, just drives you to a breeder which brings more parrots into the world. Even if you failed with the rescue bird, it would only be that one. If you go to a breeder, then it's that one and the rescued one still needs a home. Funny thing is that some breeders can be wackjobs like that as well. You just happened to find a good one!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Parrot Tales