Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel and Budgie Owner from Australia

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Cockatiel and Budgie Owner from Australia

Postby bmsweb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:38 am

Hi Guys,

My name is Paul we had a pet budgie for a number of years (Marty) who passed away 6 months ago. In any case it didn't take us long to get another budgie (leeloo) who is such a sweetie! Just over 2 weeks ago we got a Young Cockatiel (Jazz).

On his first day he managed to draw blood . . my blood!! and it hurt big time :( Came across this site and read the post on taming and its done wonders. Couldn't get near him to even clean the cage! In just over two weeks of training he is extremely tame. You can get him out of the cage without a problem. He eats from our hand and loves interacting with my son and his Legos.

He has his first trick down :D . . . Turn. I can't believe he can turn on command. Birds are amazing!! My wife thinks of gone clucky over a bird. I want to buy him a new cage now.

Here is a video of him, nothing special, just playing around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arxb8pP5JGA

I will post a video with tricks once I teach him a few more. Great site with first rate info guys!!!

Cheers
Paul
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel and Budgie Owner from Australia

Postby MandyG » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 am

Jazz is such a cutie! :cockatiel:
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:09 am

Nice video, thanks for sharing. Just one thing I want to mention is to be careful that the toys you give the bird are clean. Personally, I washed with soap some of the human based props for the bird if they weren't new. So I would suggest reserving a few legos just for the bird and washing them with dish soap and water. I just remember seeing a lego stuffed up with chocolate at some point in my life so just wanted to warn to check out that they are clean.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Cozzy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:12 am

Gday mate, welcome to the forum...
Cozzy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Budgie
cape

Postby bmsweb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Thanks Guys :)

Michael, thanks for the tip. I will give them a wash just in case. My son's legos aren't washed but they are extremely clean. My son is crazy about his legos and we have many static display model around the house. He actually put some aside for Jazz because he didn't want the bird to damage any of his parts. So it looks like both the bird and my son now have their own legos.

Today we are going Cage shopping.
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby sophisity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Welcome to the forum!! Jazz is so cute! Don't hesitate to post more pics or clips of your bird. I would like to see Jazz in the new cage you got :cockatiel:
sophisity
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker parrot
Flight: No

Postby bmsweb » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:17 am

sophisity wrote:I would like to see Jazz in the new cage you got :cockatiel:

Thanks Sophisity, I will be sure to post some more pictures and updates as I go. We ended up buying a new cage from ebay as it was almost half the price they were selling them retail. Its a shame that we have to replace the new cage we purchased when we bought him 2 weeks ago . . but hey he's worth it :)
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby bmsweb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:20 am

Hi Guys,

Finally got the new cage and assembled it in front of Jazz. Not sure if that was a good thing or not. In any case he seemed to settle in pretty quickly, so all is good. Also tried to see if he would perform a few tricks in front of the camera but he was more interested in the camera than doing tricks!!! He learnt a new trick today, which we call Wings, but he wouldn't fully spread his wings while the camera was on :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xpgfqsrKyI
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby Suzzique » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Great viedo! I think Jazz got the wings pretty good for being more interested in the camera. :)

You do know that cockaties are one of the few birds that you can tell the male from the female right? Girl cockaties have striped tails while males have solid colored tails. So Jazz is a girl. :)
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby bmsweb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Suzzique wrote: . . Girl cockaties have striped tails while males have solid colored tails. So Jazz is a girl. :)

We called our Cockatiel Jazz because we didn't know the sex. The pet store said we won't know the sex until first molt and the following is what I've read:

"All cockatiels will have female coloring until their first molt. That means if the birds is under 6 months old, you will not be able to visually determine if it is a boy or a girl. You can usually tell after the first molt, but it may take another molt or two before the bird’s true coloring comes through"

I've never read about the tail being an indicator, I'll look into, thanks for the info.
bmsweb
Amazon

Next

Return to Introductions