Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

An old bird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: An old bird

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:53 pm

As always I am so nappy to hear from you about the great relationship between you and George. They are truly amazing creatures and are capable of great love and devotion often dwarfing that which we as humans show in most circumstances. If this sounds like I might be a big fan of these birds, I would have to agree.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Georges mom » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Got a question ..... Do amazons like more than their head and necks scratched?? When I'm scratching Geirge he's really bending over so much as though he wants me to scratch down his back. I'm just not sure if I should do it. His whole body is bent over to where he's practically upside down. I don't want to freak him out and scare him or get bit if I do it. Any advice or suggestions???
Georges mom
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:28 pm

Yes. they do, they like it a lot. But due to their physiological make up, I would not recommend petting them anywhere other than the feet, beak and the head and neck areas of their bodies. This is because anywhere else is an erogenous zone and stimulates them sexually. The only thing that I know of to compare it to is that of sexual foreplay in humans with no follow through by the actual sex act.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:47 am

Without a buddy to help him, he needs scratches on his head and neck to loosen new wax feathers. I say "tickle tickle" and go to the feet with one finger. They all respond with giving me the bottom of their foot to tickle. I did not know why they lift a foot. My lack of knowledge has left my birds and me in unusual relationship.

Learning from an old bird is like getting old people to tell me about their stories from their past. Rambo came with enough words to be able to tell me what he liked and disliked. He was easy to add to my "animal house".

This bird has a lot of knowledge he is carrying from his past. An old bird knows where he has been and will soak up the love and respect you give him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Georges mom » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:32 pm

I'll keep my hand off his body for sure. I certainly don't want to arouse him and then have him get all weird or aggressive. He's seems to be doing so well as I've had him now 4 months. I scratch his feet and he loves that too. I've let him make all the moves with me but I still haven't had him on my hand. As soon as he lifts his foot when sitting by me I'll give him my hand. I'll be scared but I'll do it. Can I take him outside when the weather is warm? He likes to go by the screen door on warm days when the door is open. We are all outside on the deck and he just stares at us kinda sad face.
Im hoping once he's on my hand I can bring him out in the sunshine. Are they known to like that?? I sometimes think George has done everything. Nothing really rattles him and he just wants to be in on all the action. I spoil him rotten too. He's such a good boy. Love, love love my bird!
Georges mom
Conure

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:18 am

George would probably love to go outside with you and sit in the sunshine as long as there is also shade that he can get too so that he does not get too hot. They live in the forest canopy so they have lots of shade and do not spend much time in the direct sunshine. The thing about taking George outside with you is that you must never do it unless he is in a secure cage or wearing a harness that has its leash firmly clipped to your belt or something similar. This is because if he were to get startled or hit by a gust of wind he could end up flying away and not know how to get back home. This is true of fully flighted birds and also of those birds that have had their wings clipped. The ones with clipped wings are very often never recovered as they can not escape from a predator. But if you pay close attention and keep him in a cage that you can either carry outside with you or roll out onto the deck or if he wears a harness secured to your body and not with the leash held in your hand then you will not have this problem.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:53 am

A bird who loves you deeply can be picked up by the wind and sent for miles. The flighted ones have more control and like my Myrtle was sucked off my shoulder by the wind while looking out the front door with me. It was awful watching her being thrown around the yard. She is a good flyer and tried hard to right herself but the wind still took her. She managed to grab a twig on the top of the neighbors tree. If that had been Rambo he would be gone. The wind could have taken him to the next town.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Georges mom » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:58 pm

As I've mentioned before in this forum my George did not fly. If he stumbled or fell he'd hit the floor like a rock. Well, today as he was walking thru the room he got excited when he saw me place something on the top of his cage he started to run and ended up flying very low to the ground for about 10 ft. I was shocked! Does this mean he is going to start flying? He was about 4 inches off the floor when he flew. What do you make of this? I've also noticed more wing flapping when he is hanging onto something with his beak. Why all of a sudden did he fly even though very low??? Was that even considered flying???
Georges mom
Conure

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:32 pm

Even if it was low it is still flying and he will get better. The why now has to do with that he was excited and that gave him an adrenaline boost just the same as it does to us. It is possible that his wings were clipped and as he learned that the flapping of his wings were starting to provide some lift, he started flapping more to help build up his muscles so that he will be able to fly as his primaries grow back in. At least that is my take on what you have described.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Georges mom » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:23 pm

So maybe I should expect to see more?? The vet said his wings were not clipped but the woman who
Rescued him said he could not fly. This should be interesting. Old George has many hidden talents.
Every day is a new day with him lately. New words new actions etc. I'm just amazed with him. :)
Georges mom
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions