Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Greetings!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Greetings!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:35 am

Poor thing, they did not even know her name! Well, in that case, you have no choice but to give her one, right? As to petting her, you can't touch any part of their bodies except for the head, neck and cheeks.

Wait until you've had her for three months before you start target training her... In reality, if you always use the same words and react the same way to the same action, you are training her every time she is with you so it's not as if the whole thing is been neglected.

I would not feed pellets AND seeds. Both of them are what we call 'protein food' and it needs to be restricted to a certain amount so you can't free-feed either. I don't like pellets. I've done research on their natural diets for over 20 years and have reached the conclusion years ago that pellets are not the best dietary option for them but, if you want to feed them to her, it should only be for dinner with some sort of fresh food dish in the morning. I feed gloop with raw produce for breakfast and a good quality seed/nut mix for dinner. I've been doing this for many years and this is what I fed all the birds when I had my bird rescue and they have all done excellently on it. But you don't have to feed gloop, you can also do chop or mash... I just happen to find gloop very convenient not only because it's very practical for me as well as quite healthy for them but also because all the birds love it. I got a little lovebird some weeks ago (he was found in a balcony by a couple who did not want to keep it so they contacted me) and, this morning, he couldn't wait for his dish to be served and stole some from the big bowl :lol: It usually takes me a few days to get them transitioned to it - which is great because it normally takes a looooong time to get birds to eat produce!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Introductions