Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Luckyandjenn

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Luckyandjenn

Postby Luckyandjenn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:47 am

So i recently adopted a lovely 16 year old blue and gold :macaw: he wasnt very well socilized its time for me to get his beak and nails done but im wery he seems to be aggresive towards new people.... Other than that hes quite the charter
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw and a flock of all diffrent types hens Americana, silkie, yellow Sexton ,austrelop Plymouth Bared Rock
Flight: No

Re: Luckyandjenn

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:59 am

Please tell us more. How long have you had him now? Why does he need his beak trimmed, is there something wrong with it? What and when are you feeding him? You know, all of the usual type of things that curious people want to know about him.
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:09 am

Welcome, Lucky and Jenn (I assume you are Jenn and the B&G is Lucky, am I right?) And, yes, please tell us more - especially why you think that he (was he DNA'd a male?) needs his beak trimmed (the reason we ask is because healthy birds never need this done).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Luckyandjenn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:21 am

Ive had him about two months now needs his beak and nails are just a bit to long and no theres nothing wrong with him hes a super happy chatty guy lol i feed him alot of organic fruits and veggies he also get fresh wallnuts pecans and almonds he also eats a fruit and veggie mix that hes previous owner had him on .. as far as what other people want to know im not sure hes my first bird of this size and this is my first time being part of a group like this .
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw and a flock of all diffrent types hens Americana, silkie, yellow Sexton ,austrelop Plymouth Bared Rock

Postby Luckyandjenn » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:25 am

Yes he lucky lol sex tested male and his beak just seems a little on the long side his nails need to be trimmed cause when i hold him i get poked by them hes very health thoe always eating drinking his water and doing bird things lol i sure do love him to bitts going to get some stuff off the parrot wizard website to start his trainimg
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:16 am

I asked about why you thought that his beak needed to be trimmed because, like Pajarita said this does not need to be done in a healthy bird and because of the large number of nerves in a parrots beak, after all they use it to examine nearly everything. Most people look at a parrots beak and think that it is too long, but this is based on our ideas of what looks right and not on how the bird actually uses the beak. The nails I understand because if the bird holds onto your arm the points which help them to dig in and hold onto a branch also dig in to our skin and even with a smaller species can be painful. This usually results in buying or making some sort of guard for our arms or in trimming the points of the nails.

As for what we like to hear about your bird, I could say everything and be perfectly right. Probably the most interesting things are all of the things that you love about him the most. Also we love pictures.
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:33 am

I feel like this forum is a neighborhood that extends around the world. We are interested in hearing about our neighbor's kids as well as talking about our own. Please fill us in.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Luckyandjenn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:00 am

I think the beak may be bugging him not 100 % on that thoe and same thing goes for his nails but im going to keep doing research before i make any decisions (i did change his dite a bunch and his diets way healthier not sure if tha would make his nails and beak groww more??)as far as lucky goes hes still pretty new around here ive had him for about too months i still learning about him and hes still learning about me lol i have put alot of work into our relationship he didnt really like me too much at all but now we are two peas in a pod he does not have a huge vocabulary but is always super chatty making all sorts of weird noises i love my big ol goof ball
I cant wait to get him teained and socilized and help him become the best bird he can be as far as pictures im having a hard time all my pics seem to be to big i will keep trying thoe lol
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:33 am

Well, your best bet is to look at pictures of wild birds and compare his beak to theirs. As to a good diet making his beak and claws grow more, it's actually the other way around, it's the bad diet of too much protein (seeds, nuts, pellets, nutriberries, avicakes and, worst of all, animal protein like meat or eggs) that makes them grow too much.

But, at 16 years of age and if he hasn't had a complete physical in the last six months, you should take him to an avian vet so as to know exactly what you are dealing with if there is something going on there.

I have to say, kudos to your bravery! You went from hens to a macaw and that is a HUGE leap!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Luckyandjenn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:48 am

Pajarita wrote:Well, your best bet is to look at pictures of wild birds and compare his beak to theirs. As to a good diet making his beak and claws grow more, it's actually the other way around, it's the bad diet of too much protein (seeds, nuts, pellets, nutriberries, avicakes and, worst of all, animal protein like meat or eggs) that makes them grow too much.

But, at 16 years of age and if he hasn't had a complete physical in the last six months, you should take him to an avian vet so as to know exactly what you are dealing with if there is something going on there.

I have to say, kudos to your bravery! You went from hens to a macaw and that is a HUGE leap!

Ok well ill have to see if his previous owner recall the name of the mixed seed stuff that he came with other than that I feed him things out of my organic garden cucumbers, tomatoes (which he loves),no animal protein meat or eggs plenty of fresh nuts for him to crack... and yes im trying to find a place out here in san deigo to take him for a check up i just want to make sure its somewhat affordable and that the people that i end up taking him to know what they are doing this is my first large bird
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Next

Return to Introductions