Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sun Conure mom

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Sun Conure mom

Postby badaddidudeslady » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi. New to this forum. Almost a year ago my son gave me my 5 year old Sun Conure Boo after finding out he was allergic to him. My son had acquired Boo from a lady that finally realized she didn't have the time to give him the attention he required. He screamed constantly from boredom and the neighbors started complaining. Thus, he is a noisy little guy.
The minute we met we became one, which was odd as he didn't like anyone, (especially men) but my son at the time. Boo hated fingers and would not normally step up which we are still working on although he will always step up when he wants to be put on his cage, (or a rock when we're out and about), in order to poop. He lets me know by little nips when he has to go. He learned that himself. Pretty smart in my book.
We live in the mountains in So Cal and he is with me just about everywhere I go. His wings are clipped because of this; climbing the forest trees to retrieve him is not an option. Lol
I'm looking forward to learning how I can change some of his worst behavioral problems that have become more than I can handle. I truly love this little guy but I'm a little tired of him training me, instead of the other way around and my hubby does not help the situation at all as he dotes on this guy so much and spoils him to no end. Makes training a very confusing time for Boo.
A little long for an introduction but hopefully will help once I start asking questions.
badaddidudeslady
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Sun Conure mom

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:50 pm

Welcome to the forum, Boo and momma! If you tell us what his behavioral issues are, we can give you pointers on how to overcome them but, I might as well tell you that clipping a bird is a sure way to end up with a bird with issues. Think about it, you are grounding a prey animal whose only predator avoidance mechanism is flight and expect the poor animal to be 'normal' in his reactions - it's an impossibility. Clipping has both physical and psychological harmful consequences which cannot be 'undone' by anything we might be willing to do for them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions