Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

senegal parrots and eating habits

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

senegal parrots and eating habits

Postby sbooth13 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Hi, my name is Shirley and I'm the proud Mom of baby Sami, who is a Senegal parrot. I've only had him for three weeks. When I first got him he ate Top Crop parrot seed, oranges, apple, and pear, also Rainbow, and some table foods. When he first came home, he ate this stuff for a few days, and then almost exclusively he ate Pretty Bird pellets, a mixture of Top Crop and Fiesta Parrot, also scrambled egg and any kind of healthy bread made into peanut butter, egg or tuna salad sandwiches. While at the breeder's he loved apple, would eat huge chunks of it, but after a few days here he ignored the apple and other fruit, and ate the above foods. He later started to eat the apple. Today I fed him Pretty Bird, bean mix, and fruit and he ignored it, but also I fed him scrambled egg and peanut butter sandwich and he ate this eagerly. He also eagerly ate the seed combination that I give him at 4 p.m. I don't understand why he won't eat the Pretty Bird, he ate a lot of it since he came home, seemed to love it. Why would he ignore foods that he loved previously? Maybe he just ate so much of it that he got tired of it, I don't know. He was hungry, but he ignored the soft food and PB pellets that I gave him this morning. I am stumped. Why does he do this?
Shirley
sbooth13
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: No

Re: senegal parrots and eating habits

Postby GizmoTheBird » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:12 am

i have had my senegal about as long as you have and found that my senegal gizmo loves routine anytime i seem to mess it up he refuses to eat in the mornings (and then eagerly eats what was offered either a few hours later or later that afternoon), i have found out that if i wish to change anything i have to change it slowly with gizmo, this could be your reason, when i first got him he refused to eat grapes and peanuts and now he absolutely loves them, you have to remember they have the minds of a young child, one day they may love something the next day the could not want anything to do with it. (i hope this helps, im not an expert just sharing my experiences)

-Brynn & Gizmo-
Gizmo-Senegal
GizmoTheBird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions