Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi Bird Lovers

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi Bird Lovers

Postby SlaveToAParrot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Hello everyone,

I never know what to say in these introduction posts. My name Jessie, 22 and I stumbled across this forum looking for more information on Senegal Parrots. I'm not really knew to the bird world as I've had 3 budgies in the past, given to me unexpectedly. They converted me into a bird lover. I no longer have them as that was a long time ago. I only have my Senegal with me right now.

His name is Cody, he's 9 years old and has a mind of his own; hence my username. I've had him since he was 7 weeks old maybe, when he was just getting in his feathers. Unfortunately due to my family situation all the taming and training hasn't been consistent so I'm back at square one again with him. I'm open to learning new ways to improve our lives.

And I just recently took him to the vet so other than having to adjust his diet as he's overweight :oops: and needing to get more calcium into his diet. I spoil him too much with the food(all good stuff though) :P He is healthy otherwise :D I managed to finally have him DNA sexed to confirm that he is indeed a male as well. Yay!

I also had been watching the videos of Kili and it is really inspiring to me to keep working with Cody to get him trusting everyone again. Very slow process though. Anyway I look forward to getting to know you all and soaking up all the information about the parrots as much as I can ^_^

I would have posted some pictures of Cody but I think my photobucket account is full haha... I will get them on here as soon as I find a place to upload them again. :)
Owned by:
Cody the 17-year-old male :senegal: / Birdie the 20-year-old female :greycockatiel:
SlaveToAParrot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi Bird Lovers

Postby pchela » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi and welcome! So, you've had Cody since you were 13? Was he a family pet or just yours? I can't wait to see your pics!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Rue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Welcome! I'm new too. Looking forward to photos of Cody!
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby SlaveToAParrot » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Yea, I was 13 when I got him and I paid for him with my own money and am the main caregiver so he is technically mine. Although I feel he has made himself a family pet since the other family members have been involved with his care as well. He is my bird though.

Alrighty, I hope this works... some photos I took back in February/March...

Enjoying an almond on his hatchday

Just having fun exploring his tunnel in his play cage

He says "Hi Cody" lol... he was actually just about to scratch his head in this photo.

I will have to take more soon, he's kind of camera shy, I tried taking a video of him chatting to himself and tried having him say "Peek-A-Boo" in it. I wait 5min and there is complete silence than the moment I stop recording, he says it 5x fast :roll: :lol:
Owned by:
Cody the 17-year-old male :senegal: / Birdie the 20-year-old female :greycockatiel:
SlaveToAParrot
Lovebird

Postby Rue » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 pm

He's adorable! Thanks for posting the pics!

It's also very nice to see a teen get a pet, and then look after the pet properly for the long-term! :thumbsup:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:55 pm

hey there! im Eva i have a sunconure and im thirteen :mrgreen:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby SlaveToAParrot » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Yes, it has been a challenge for me as I am also dealing with my social anxiety at the same time. So some things I do have my family help me out to an extent but the majority of the care is on me. Cody has sort of kept me from slipping backwards with the anxiety since as you all know birds need to be well socialized. The very thing I have difficulty with so Cody just keeps me going otherwise I wouldn't be were I am today.

I originally wanted a rabbit and my mom convinced me to get a parrot instead(I still would like a rabbit, though, they don't seem to be the pet for me). I researched about them for a year and a half before deciding on going ahead with it. Then I was told a Senegal would be a good bird for a beginner. I wasn't fully aware of what I, myself, was getting into for the amount of care involved for them. So I've been trying my best to better the situation as much as I can over the last 4-5 years. :)

However, I wouldn't recommend anyone to adopt a parrot at a young age like that unless you really know what you're getting yourself into.. and I've often had to talk my own friends OUT of adopting a bird because they can really test your patience.

I've been trying to find a balance between my own hurdles and my parrot's hurdles right now. My family aren't as much into the care as I am. The one who is, my mom, has developed a terrible fear of Cody biting her so I've been trying to help her with it.

skeetersunconure - I love Sun Conures :D
Owned by:
SlaveToAParrot
Lovebird

Return to Introductions