Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Aspiring parrot companion

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Aspiring parrot companion

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:10 am

Believe it or not, from the things you described, I think a Cape Parrot could be quite good for you. Some additional possibilities:

-Little Corella (Bare Eyed Cockatoo)
-Black Capped Parrot (Caique)
-Galah (Rose Breasted Cockatoo)
-Severe Macaw

I think you're on the borderline of being game for a Grey but considering the long hours you work and the lack of any preliminary parrot experience, I'd say a Grey might be stretching it. However, based on your budget, noise comfort, and foreseen expansion, I think these mid sized parrots could be a great companion for you. It would definitely help to meet some of these birds in person besides just reading about them.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:06 am

...don't forget a pionus.

It's funny how quickly you can become a fan of a particular species or breed...and then you don't understand why no one else gets as excited about that species as you do.

I honestly can't figure out why the Pionus aren't more popular. The only thing I think of is that in photos their plumage looks dull...but when you see them in real life (and the feathers are in good shape) they have an awesome irridesence.

I don't like the look of the African Greys...a bit vulturine for me...but I know other people who find them beautiful...nonetheless...we have ours! And she's wonderful (well, most of the time...she does have her moments)...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby pchela » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:54 am

Michael,

I'm going to have to say that a Cockatoo, Caique or Macaw is going to be just as difficult if not more so than an African Grey. I think you have a idea in your head about Greys being difficult that just isn't true! They really aren't any more difficult than any other bird and less difficult than a Caique. I swear! (and I've raised several of all of them and have had two Greys and a Caique living with me)
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 am

Well let's hear the details.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:03 am

I'm about to jump in the shower but I think this probably warrants a new topic anyway. I'll get started on it in a bit.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby myakando » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:07 am

I must admit, this is a very good thread/discussion and am enjoying reading what is being said..... a little stumped at the suggestion of a Severe but nonetheless a very refreshing topic indeed ;)
myakando
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:45 pm

myakando wrote:a little stumped at the suggestion of a Severe but nonetheless a very refreshing topic indeed ;)

Why? There may be something I don't know in terms of personality, etc. But in terms of size, noise and budget, I don't see why not? Furthermore I think the original poster said they liked Macaws but thought they'd be too big so I'm pointing out a mid-sized macaw that might be more doable:

For scale of reference.
Michael
Macaw

Postby myakando » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Well, in terms of size, budget...etc. I totally agree with you. I will say that Severes are extremely strong willed and opinionated. Yes, they do have their cuddly moments, are great talkers, complete clowns, form strong bonds with their chosen human.... however, they are real handfuls.

My flock consists of the following;

1 Umbrella cockatoo
1 Goffin's cockatoo
1 Red Fronted macaw
2 cockatiels
4 lovebirds

Although it might be hard to believe, I do spend lots of one on one time with my birds (of course) on a daily basis. Luckily, I have a job and schedule that affords me this ability. I also do clicker/target training with the larger guys. My Severe's agressive tendencies have also been greatly curtailed by adding trick training into his regimen.

All I can say is that my Severe is more work than ALL of my other birds combined. Yes, I did all kinds of reading and research prior to purchasing my Severe. I missed one important key component though.... to speak with actual Severe owners and not just reading macaw books/internet, speaking with avian vets, breeders, rescues. One won't get *true* information (IMO) unless you speak to an actual Severe owner. One person recently told me that if I can handle a Severe, I'd be able to handle a Scarlet with no problems. We all know how difficult those guys can be.

No, I can never part with my Severe..... a Severe would have never made it to the top of my list knowing what I know now. He just simply brought in a *bag of surprises and challenges* I was not expecting. We're OK now but it's been a long haul.

I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here but I now believe that certain species of parrots should have been left alone in the wild and not reckoned with at all, with Severes being one of them.
myakando
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:18 pm

That's interesting. I really don't know Arini parrots all that well (beyond price, size, color) so pardon my ignorant suggestion. Can you recommend any other similar sized macaw for a beginner?
Michael
Macaw

Postby myakando » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Well, cost might be a factor but if someone is looking for a macaw specifically, although it's larger, I would recommend a Red Fronted macaw hands down. They're super sweet, intellgent and not nippy at all.
myakando
Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions