Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello

Postby Ladymoon2886 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:00 pm

Hello everyone.
I am new here not new to birds but we currently don’t have any. I had several birds when I was younger and am interested in getting a bird for my daughter. I have narrowed it down to a budgie or cockatiel. I would like a hand fed bird so I know a cockatiel will be easier to find. She has been begging for a bird and I would love to have one again so this seems like a great time to look for a new bird. :greycockatiel: :budgie:
Ladymoon2886
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None currently
Flight: No

Re: Hello

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am

Hello, LadyMoon, welcome to the forum. A word of caution. I don't know how old is your daughter but both budgies and cockatiels are aviary species -meaning, not companion species. Parrots are all parrots but this doesn't mean that they are all the same about everything (diet, behaviors, needs, etc). Companion species are the ones that have imprinted to humans and retain a deep bond with them (thus the name: companion). Aviary species, even when they have been handfed and respond to humans almost the same as companion species when they are babies, change as they mature and reach the age of sexual activity (and that's why they are called 'aviary' because they belong in a flock). Basically, they are no longer happy or eager to be with their owners, preferring (and needing) the company of other birds of their own species. These birds require a lot of time spent with them and a lot of expert handling because, eventually, they bite. People will tell you they have a companion tiel, lovie, budgie, plet, etc that loves them and they won't be lying because it is true that they can love their owner but they will be flighty, anxious, restless and deeply unhappy (and that's why all the lost budgies, tiels, lovies, etc that we read about were birds kept alone - they go looking for other birds!). Please reconsider getting just one aviary species bird. It might work for the owner because the poor thing, all alone and desperate for love and attention, will be willing to share time with the owner but it is not a good life for them.

Birds are not easy pets and they hardly ever really work out with small children in the long run because they simply do not have the patience, self-discipline and commitment that keeping a parrot happy and healthy entails. Of course, we, parents, can take over (as we usually do :D ) when the novelty wears off but, again, it's not kind to the bird. My grandson (a HUGE animal lover like me) loves my GCC, Codee, and, the last time he came to spend some time with me, he sneaked out of my bedroom -where he was supposed to have been doing his virtual school- and took Codee out of her cage (it was the noon rest), taking her upstairs with him. She is the sweetest, sweetest little thing and never bites so it was OK (Codee is the only bird I allow my grandkids to interact with). I don't know exactly what your family situation is and what are your day to day activities but, if you are a stay at home mom, love birds and are willing to 'co-own' one, you might want to consider adopting a nice, young adult GCC for her. They require an inordinate amount of one-on-one time but, if you pay them the necessary amount of attention, feed them right and keep them in tune with the seasons (otherwise they become aggressive from hormones), they are the sweetest, most affectionate, docile little things - so much so that I have one that was parent-raised and severely neglected for the first two years of her life (making her the equivalent of a wild bird) and she is still people-oriented! This morning, she was perching on my shoulder (her own initiative) and kissing my cheek!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions