Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

my parrotlet is sick

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

my parrotlet is sick

Postby shadhar » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi, i have a parrotlet who is almost 5 years old now. He is been sick for last 2 months and he lost around 3.5g until now and he cant fly anymore. the white part of his poop is becoming more green and watery part too. we have no local vets who are good with birds so I am not getting any help here. I think it is a liver problem. I hope I can get help here.
shadhar
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: my parrotlet is sick

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:18 am

Welcome to the forum and I am sooo sorry your bird is so sick! Yes, it does sound like liver problems. Has he been free-fed seeds by any chance? Maybe some egg, also? First thing you need to do is change his diet completely. He needs to eat gloop and raw produce (they are not overly fond of fruits but they love their leafy greens so give him a large portion of a different one every day -but no spinach -this also causes liver disease- and no collard/beet/turnip greens either) with a small portion of a finch seed mix for dinner. You also need to put him on liver and kidney cleansers and tonics: milk thistle, dandelion root, SAMe (or methionine but SAMe is better for emergencies like this one) and organic aloe vera juice (not gel) from the inner filet (not the whole leaf) plus a couple of drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice in his water.

I don't mean to make you feel bad but I am afraid that you might have waited too long so don't get your hopes too high because, by the time they show symptoms, birds are usually VERY sick and two months is too long a wait... I hope from the bottom of my heart that I am wrong and you can bring him back.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions