Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

change in attitude ??

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

change in attitude ??

Postby myboyharley » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm

Hello all,
New member here - looking for thoughts or suggestions on an attitude change... I have a 30 yr old Blue/Gold macaw... (I've had him for 25 yrs) and for the last 6 months - he has been quiet - and angry... he has his own room - and is not locked in a cage... he used to come to me - and we would hang out where I work.. we would make noises, whistle - sing.. but now - he will not leave the room.. and he lunges at me - nor does he talk / sing..
he is eating great - not picking at his feather - looks healthy - household dynamics have not changed, so not really sure what to try - or why he is so upset.... I realize this could be many things... just looking for thoughts...
Thank you
myboyharley
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Blue/Gold Macaw
parakeet
Flight: No

Re: change in attitude ??

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:55 am

Welcome to the forum, Harley and Human. I am sorry your bird is so aloof with you but, unless Harley had a complete physical (CBC, chem panel, bile acids, ionized calcium and full body XRay) in the last six months, the very first thing you need to do is take him to an avian vet for one because one of the most common symptoms of disease, it's a bad mood (a bird who doesn't feel well is a very unhappy bird - and animal that are in pain will strike out with aggression).

People usually think that because a bird is eating, drinking, sleeping, etc is OK but that is not the way it works with any animal. Furthermore, although people usually feel that the bird's behavior changed from rather suddenly, it is never like that. 99.99% of the time, the problem has been there for years but the parrot has been patiently waiting for it to disappear until, one day, he realizes it's not going to happen and starts showing his displeasure. Parrots in general and macaws in particular, for all their quirks, are incredibly patient animals but they do not wait forever. And disease makes a big difference. For example, birds with advanced liver or kidney disease will continue eating and drinking and sleeping but they are from super uncomfortable to in chronic pain so, please, take him to the vet. Best case scenario, there is nothing physically wrong with him and you can start working on resolving whatever issues he might have to make him happier.

Why don't you tell us what his light schedule, diet and an average day of activity for him goes? We might be able to give you a bit more insight in what is bothering him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions