Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Japan

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello from Japan

Postby JFK » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:42 pm

Hello,

My name is Justin. I live in Japan.
I’m usually a large dog breed fan, but the houses here are quite smaller, especially since I live near Tokyo.
I’ve recently been looking into a companion pet so I started doing research, and well, here I am.
I have grown up around birds and the fam has has larger breeds throughout my lineage.
I have worked at a zoos & aquariums with a plethora of birds from Toucans, turkeys, vultures, owls, hawks, & Eagles. While I am new to owning one as a pet personally I’m not totally ignorant to animal behavior. I’m also retired and have nothing but time on my hands to spend with whatever I choose.
I look forward to obtaining and sharing knowledge as I go, and am pretty excited to say the least.
I was shockingly gifted a Pacific Parrotlet out of the blue and now I’m scrambling for husbandry information. So far so good. Tiki Chan is incredibly tame at two months and only a day in her new home. We’ve both already learned so much! Amazing animal, I’ve never experienced a bond this fast in all my years working with them.
I think this forum will provide a plethora of useful information and I can’t wait to dig in!
Justin F Kayce
Tiki Chan the Blue Pacific Parrotlet
JFK
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from Japan

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:20 am

Hi, Justin and Tiki Chan, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby. Now, please don't take this the wrong way but the bond that you now have with Tiki is because he is a very young baby that should still be with its parents (I hope you know that you have to handfeed it several times a day). See, the thing is that parrotlets are aviary birds so, although they bond with a human when they are babies, once they are sexually mature, they lose the deep bond and need another of their own species to be happy. Parrotlets are not companion parrots. This doesn't mean that it won't trust and love you, it just means that it won't be happy all alone so I would strongly behoove you to start thinking about getting him a mate. And don't forget that you need to provide soft food for him for about 5 more months.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions