Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hoho!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hoho!

Postby Margary » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:11 pm

I have just joined the forum after reading an article on the most basic info to tame / train my parrot. He is an Indian Ringneck and only about four months old. He’s just gotten so I can sit right next to his. Cage and he will continue to eat or play and even show off a bit sometimes. I also have a husband and a four year old daughter sharing a space with Kevin. He seems to like my daughter best but probably because she is short and his perch in cage is taller than her.
Margary
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Hoho!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:10 am

Hi, Margary and Kevin, welcome to the forum. I am confused... what is it, exactly, that you want to do? Tame or train? Because those are two completely different things which require two completely different approaches. You tame wild-caught and parent-raised-parrots and you train hand-fed ones. So, which is yours? At four months of age, unless you live in Asia (and are breaking the law), your parrot must be hand-fed so he doesn't need to be tamed and keeping it in his cage is counterproductive. Also, the height of the parrot vis-a-vis is the height of the human's head has absolutely no relevance (height-dominance theory was debunked years ago).

So, tell us a bit about the circumsrances so we can help you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions