Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introduction and HELP!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Introduction and HELP!

Postby lpat0829 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:24 am

HI! My name is Lori and I have just acquired a Senegal Parrot named Winston. Winston is 3 years old and seems to have been neglected and/or abused by his former owner. So far, I have not been able to touch or get Winston out of his cage. I talk to him continuously and he seems to calm down, but if I try to touch him he starts to pace and fly around the cage, all the while he is screaming. The environment he was in before I got him was very chaotic and loud, with three small children running around screaming. Now he is in an all adult household, which is realtively quite. I am keeping him in the main room of the house so he can become accustomed to us and I try to talk to him as much as possible so he gets use to my voice and presence. He does act as if he may bite and has bit a gloved hand. I really want to work with him and get him to the point that we are able to hold him and teach him tricks. Anyone out there have any advice as to the path I should be taking????
lpat0829
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Introduction and HELP!

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:09 am

Welcome. These articles are a good place to start.

How to Teach Parrot to Step Up and to Come Out of Cage

Senegal Parrot Information and FAQ

Senegal Parrot Biting and Aggression Issues

How To Overcome One Person Parrot Aggression

Once you overcome initial problems, be sure to check out my training blog http://trainedparrot.com for ideas how to teach tricks and work with your parrot beyond just basic taming.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions