Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I'm new here. :)

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

I'm new here. :)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello everyone! My name's Heather. :) I see there are a great many knowledgeable people here on TPF, so I am hoping to get some good advice/insight into what I have gotten myself into, LOL!

I have recently adopted an 8-year-old male black-headed caique I have named Galileo. He came from an exotic bird sanctuary. The owners of the sanctuary said he had been cage-bound by his previous owner and had begun to pluck his tail feathers, and had little to no interaction with people before they received him. I adopted him because yes, I felt horrible for him for being stuck in a cage all day every day, and also I wanted a companion bird who liked to hang out with me since I am alone a lot. I was on the verge of adopting a goffin, but as soon as I saw this grumpy, sad-looking BHC I couldn't leave him there, and I was up for the challange of winning his affection.

Let me start by saying that I know it is going to take time to get him to be sociable and he is definitely psychologically damaged from his previous neglect. Galileo is surprisingly easy to handle for his beginnings (he was at the santuary for only 1 or 2 months before I adopted him), but seems to have the "grumpy" personality of those few rare BHCs. He will tolerate me holding him, and has started to listen to the step-up comand, but I get the evil-eye and a nip if he doesn't want to leave his current perch for my hand. I am hoping he just needs to come out of his shell. One good thing- he has gone from biting me hard enough to make me bleed to letting me ruffle his feathers a little, although he still nips at me if he gets that look in his eye. The people at the sanctuary said he was like that the whole time they'd had him, too, so it isn't like he dislikes me (I hope).

He also isn't playful at all, and hasn't played once since I brought him home and didn't play at the sanctuary either. He doesn't even play in his cage, he just sits there and mopes. I am assuming he was a hand-raised bird who was just neglected for so long that it made him resent people because I think his sweet side will be showing itself sometime very soon, because today he let me scratch his head for the first time. I hold him and generally interact with him for probably 3 hours a day if not more. I don't let him perch on my shoulder- both times I have tried he has bitten the heck out of my hand when I try to get him down. I know beaking is normal, but he bites to make me bleed when he gets in his moods, and I know he is trying to be dominant but when he bites, I just push my hand/finger/whatever he is biting slightly into the bite, tell him "No biting, buddy" and he lets go and calms down.

Sorry for the ranting... My question is: has anyone else had a "grumpy" BHC that became more affectionate? I really want him to be a companion bird, as I know the BHC as a species are affectionate and playful. What do you think? Was he just neglected to the point where playing just wasn't worthwhile anymore? And how would I get him to play? I have a ton of toys for him, and change them out in his cage even though he doesn't play with them anyway, and try to get him to look at/play with objects when I have him out of his cage but he just doesn't seem interested, he just sits there and watches me, or decides he has had enough of me and wanders off. He doesn't hop, either, he walks like he owns the place.

I really would like any suggestions about how to get him to play, it's just so sad that he just sits there all the time like he is still stuck in his cage.

Thoughts anyone? :) And thank you.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Re: I'm new here. :)

Postby Giantmoa » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 pm

hello and welcome, I joined recently as well =) I'm glad your black headed caique has a good home at last! my bird isn't that interested in her toys either but one sure way to perk her interest is to hide treats in them and make them "foraging" toys. I don't know if he likes any fruits or veggies but you could try weaving them through the bars or hanging them from the top, ect. and does he like foot toys? my bird loves to hold them in her foot and pick away at them. I hope this helps a bit ^_^
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:27 pm

He has an unhealthy love of grapes and bananas- maybe putting them into a toy would be fun for him! It would certainly get him using that smart little brain of his. Thank you for the idea, that is awesome!!! :)
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby JadeW » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Hello and welcome! I'm sure you'll find all kinds of wonderful answers here~ My Cas doesn't really like to play with his toys too often either, but it seems to help if he sees me getting excited and enjoying some of the new ones I've bought for him. I'm wondering how you've gotten your guy to eat that fruit! My tiel only seems to want to eat cookies out of my hand, but put a piece of carrot or apple in my hand and he'll have none of it! :lol:

Good luck and 'grats on your wonderful little adoption :)
Michele and Cas <3
JadeW
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Jade- my cockatiel Archimedes loves raisins, but it took him awhile to realize they were food (I put them in his food dish before offering them as treats, and he figured out that O.M.G. he HAD to have them!!!). The bird in my rambling question is Galileo, my black-headed caique. :mrgreen: Galileo is a cranky little fella still, but I would be cranky too if I'd been in a cage for eight years of my life I think.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby tacotaco » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:10 pm

that takes great courage and a big heart, i am happy that you were able to take him in and give him a loving home. i really wish you the best with your BHC and i look forward to hearing about his progress! good luck to you
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks everyone. :) My bonding with Galileo is doing very well, he hasn't bitten me hard enough to draw blood for a couple days now!!! Maybe soon- I am thinking a couple months, lol- I can try a harness with him, I would love for his feathers to grow out so he can fly, but I don't think he has ever flown before. :( I will definitely keep everyone posted.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention- Galileo PLAYED with me yesterday!!!!! Unfortunately...it involved him ripping the "delete" key off of my keyboard, hopping to the ground, and gleefully avoiding me when I tried to get it back... But it made my day!!! :D
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby a.susz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:20 pm

that is awesome to hear!! yes sometimes traumatized birds can take YEARS to come out of their shell, but it will totally be worth it in the end! I know a girl who has a BHC who is several years old that she had since she was a little girl. her best friend. She went away to school and he was very confused and lonely so he befriended her dad. then she came back and he was very resentful that she left and would take chunks for quite a while. she said it took the whole summer for him to forgive her.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:11 pm

We have been making great progress, Galileo and I!!! Today, for the first time, he was very excited when I went to get him out of his cage and impatiently clambored over to the door and "smoke-alarm" called to me. When I got him out he lowered his head and wanted scratches!!! YAY! :swaying:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Next

Return to Introductions