Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help New Bird Owner

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Help New Bird Owner

Postby Dawn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:28 am

I am a new Mom to a 1 year old Yellow Naped Parrot. The Parrot has been living with me for 4 day's as of today. This Parrot was neglected and just left in a garage. During the day their were people around but it was not in a cage and left all alone on weekends for the most part. Since the owner really didn't want him my husband and I decided to take him in. My concern now is that he has stopped whistling like he used to and he just seems not as happy and skidish... I take him out of the cage when I am home from work I play with him feed him Apples, Carrots ect... He will step up on my hand but I just want to make sure I am doing the right things...
Dawn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Naped Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Help New Bird Owner

Postby lainmai » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:38 am

First off welcome to the forum & thanks for helping out a bird in need!

Second, the bird probably just needs time to settle in and adjust to its new environment. If he seems to WANT to come out of the cage than let him otherwise give him some time to himself to get used to all the new things then work on gaining his trust & start some basic training to build the trust and kinmanship between the two of you.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Dawn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:59 am

Thank you so much for your response. Would you know where I can get training or perhaps a DVD, Book. I really love this little guy and want to do all the right things.
Dawn
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Naped Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Kim S » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Dawn,

Youve come to the right place. If you take the time to look through the forum there are a lot of different topics about training and getting birds used to new owners. The best place to start is here:
http://theparrotforum.com/viewforum.php?f=11
Here a lot of training issues have been adressed and at the top of the page there is an article about how to get a parrot to step up and come out of its cage. You might not expect it from the title, but this topic deals for a great part with new and unhandled parrots.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:20 am

Dawn wrote:Thank you so much for your response. Would you know where I can get training or perhaps a DVD, Book. I really love this little guy and want to do all the right things.

http://TrainedParrot.com ;)
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Welcome! That's great that you took in an Amazon in need. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with re-homed parrots, but I'm sure you'll find a lot of information here. Best of luck with your new bird, Amazon's are amazing!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Return to Introductions