Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

AFRICAN GREY

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

AFRICAN GREY

Postby razordogz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:50 am

:gray: WE HAVE AN AFRICAN GREY, 13 WEEKS OLD TODAY HE WAS HAND REARED BY THE BREEDER WHERE WE BOUGHT HIM FROM. WE HAVE ONLY HAD HIM 1 WEEK, HE CAN'T FLY YET ALTHOUGH HE FLAPS ABOUT A LOT. WE HAVE BOUGHT HIM A FEATHER TETHER HARNESS WITH A DETACHABLE LEASH. THE HARNESS FITS WITH 3 CLIPS. I HAVE ONLY USED THE HARNESS A COUPLE OF DAYS BUT BEEN PUTTING IT ON HIM 2 OR 3 TIMES A DAY SO HE CAN GET USED TO IT.
HE HAS A CHILDS RATTLE WHICH HE PLAYS WITH WHILE I ATTACH THE HARNESS, HE DOESN'T SIT THERE HAPPILY HE KEEPS WRIGGLING ABOUT AS HE DOESN'T LIKE ME TOUCHING UNDER THE WINGS, BUT AFTER A MINUTE OR TWO I GET IT CLIPPED UP.
ITS NOT TIGHT YOU CAN GET A FINGER AROUND THE HARNESS ON ALL STRAPS BUT HE KEEPS CHEWING AT THE HARNESS I CAN GET HIM TO EAT A NUT BUT THATS IT AND ONCE IT IS GONE HE CHEWS THE HARNESS AGAIN. ANY SOLUTIONS ANYBODY?
HE HAS ALSO BEEN QUITE SNAPPY TODAY AND GONE FOR ME WITHOUT WARNING (HARNESS NOT EVEN IN SIGHT OR USE) AND HAS CUT ME OR HIS PLAYFUL BITING ON MY FINGER HAS BEEN MORE TIGHTER THAN USUAL CAUSING A LITTLE PAIN.
THE REASON I WANT TO USE A HARNESS IS BECAUSE I LIVE IN A 3 STORY TOWN HOUSE THE LOUNGE IS ON THE MIDDLE FLOOR SO IT IS NOT EASY TAKING A CAGE UP AND DOWNSTAIRS AND WE THOUGHT WITH A HARNESS HE COULD SIT OUT IN THE GARDEN WITH US ON SUNNY DAYS.
IF ANYONE COULD GIVE ME SOME TIPS I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL , AS HE IS A YOUNGSTER IT SHOULD BE EASIER :roll:
razordogz
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: african grey
Flight: Yes

Re: AFRICAN GREY

Postby Nathaniel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:47 am

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU. BUT WELCOME ANYWAYS.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby Kim S » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.
I am sorry but I have no idea what you wrote in your first post since the caps make my head hurt.

Take your time to read through some of the sticky postst in all the different sections. Especially in the training section are some very good articles and posts to start with.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby razordogz » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:48 pm

Kim S wrote:Welcome to the forum.
I am sorry but I have no idea what you wrote in your first post since the caps make my head hurt.

Take your time to read through some of the sticky postst in all the different sections. Especially in the training section are some very good articles and posts to start with.

sorry about the caps , i hate writing in lower case its a bad habit i have got. but for you i shall write in lower case :lol:
razordogz
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: african grey

Postby lainmai » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:01 pm

The best tip I can give (other than to read the articles and watch Michaels videos) is to be patient. Work more on your bond with your new bird rather than training it for the harness etc. Don't rush into anything and don't force him to do things either. It is like you adopted a 2yo child - not only do you need to create a bond to make the family seem whole but you also have to train him like an impatient and rather non-understanding toddler that simply wants to do whatever they wish to - and which generally have an attention span of 30 seconds.

Time, patience, and persistence will get things done. But your new boy will be the one to set the pace - not you.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:50 am

Nathaniel wrote:WELCOME TO THE FORUM, SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU. BUT WELCOME ANYWAYS.

YOUR HUMOR IS SO SUBTLE.
:lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Return to Introductions