Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to Parrots/buying advice

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: New to Parrots/buying advice

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:09 pm

I think it's just because budgies are so common and easily found in pet stores, AND usually not hand-raised, which makes such a huge difference. Most people know somebody who has a budgie (probably purchased on impulse and then ignored) and it just sits there and chatters, and flies into a panic in its cage whenever anyone comes near. Poor little souls :(

Anybody who has actually known a well socialized budgie knows better, and knows they can be trusting and loyal, and hilarious, and can talk the pants off of many other species!

I choose not to live with one these days, because I find the chatter, even of a talking budgie, to be a bit too constant for my taste. Also, they don't seem to be aware of what comes out of their back ends, and when I compare that to my experience with pyrrhuras practically potty training themselves, the choice is clear for me.

Except that a healthy budgie poop is about as unoffensive as a poop can ever get. Except when a budgie is having a nap on the side of your face and poops in your ear.
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure, Blue Crowned Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:16 pm

pyrrhuraphile wrote:Except when a budgie is having a nap on the side of your face and poops in your ear.

Yeah, can't forget that one! :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kim S » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I breed budgies, and there is absolutely no reason to handfeed a budgie just to make it tame.
None of mine are handfed. If you cant tame a budgie you are never going to get anywhere with a 'real' parrot.

The noise level is a valid point though. They chatter all day long and you need to be able to cope with that.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Now I understand that budgies can be hand-tamed (by the breeder) without being hand-fed. I think this is really good. In my experience, it's hard to find budgie breeders who are doing that around here. I have tamed parent raised budgies, so I know it can be done, but if they are handled by the breeder, why not give them that head-start? It's also a way to find a good pet budgie breeder, because you know it's somebody who cares enough to WANT to cuddle their baby birdies. :budgie:
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Postby Red Moppet » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:28 pm

pyrrhuraphile wrote:Except that a healthy budgie poop is about as unoffensive as a poop can ever get. Except when a budgie is having a nap on the side of your face and poops in your ear.

:lol:

It's true. I cared for a Quaker for a bit and her poop was definitely something you took notice of. I always wore an old shirt at home for this reason. But in some ways, budgie poop is more insidious... because it's so small & easy to clean off, I feel I can wear my regular clothes at home. I always try to remember to do a check before leaving the house, but I have found poop on me at the grocery store! :roll:
Red Moppet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Red Moppet wrote:
pyrrhuraphile wrote:Except that a healthy budgie poop is about as unoffensive as a poop can ever get. Except when a budgie is having a nap on the side of your face and poops in your ear.

:lol:

It's true. I cared for a Quaker for a bit and her poop was definitely something you took notice of. I always wore an old shirt at home for this reason. But in some ways, budgie poop is more insidious... because it's so small & easy to clean off, I feel I can wear my regular clothes at home. I always try to remember to do a check before leaving the house, but I have found poop on me at the grocery store! :roll:

All this talk of budgie poop is, strangely, making me really miss my little Budgie!!! :lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Red Moppet wrote:But in some ways, budgie poop is more insidious...

This is so true. You will find them YEARS after you have had a budgie in the house. They do not stain, but they do roll away.

And I gotta say, when one lands in your ear it really feels unpleasantly... hot :?
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:41 pm

pyrrhuraphile wrote:
Red Moppet wrote:But in some ways, budgie poop is more insidious...

This is so true. You will find them YEARS after you have had a budgie in the house. They do not stain, but they do roll away.

And I gotta say, when one lands in your ear it really feels unpleasantly... hot :?

I hope you mean temperature-wise and not "hawt"... LMAO jk :lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Previous

Return to Introductions