Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Getting a lovebird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Getting a lovebird

Postby lovebirdlover » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:18 pm

well im not new but i just got a call from my friend a couple days ago and she said that she has 3 babys so i shall soon have my very first bird but not tame. So after my homework i will spend all my time with it when i get it. Is there any page that i can read to help me get an idea of how to tame it i have read 3 books and they assume that ther tame but besides that they were very good books. she is providing my cage but not the food but have have put money aside for that. And the attachment are the parents.
Attachments
GetAttachment[1].jpg
GetAttachment[1].jpg (3.95 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
bluemaskedlovebirds
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: Getting a lovebird

Postby Rue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:59 am

Congrats! The parents are adorable! Read as much as you can before you bring the baby home. Then take your time...don't overwhelm the bird, unless it indicates it wants more attention from you. I suggest a week as a 'settling' in time. While the bird is settling in, talk to it, sing to it, etc. just be careful not to scare it.

Get it started on a good quality pelleted diet...and then supplement with appropriate fresh foods and a seed mix. But it's important that pellets are the mainstay still they have the vitamins and minerals that the bird will need to stay healthy.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Re: Getting a lovebird

Postby lovebirdlover » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:04 am

:lovebird: thanks for your reply. Im reading as much as i can and ill make sure he has time to settle in and i will also make sure i wont scare him with the attention. Ive also seen what she feeds them ( fruits and vegies with seed and pellet mixture). she treats them like gold, and when i get the baby ill treat it like gold :D
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Return to Introductions