Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from BC, Canada

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello from BC, Canada

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:40 am

I only have a Green Cheeked Conure right now, as my 2 year old Crimson Bellied Conure died recently. He was only two, but had developed a mass on his digestive system which we didn't discover in time. My GCC, Charlie, is 13, so I was surprised to lose my CBC so early, to say the least.

I am a clicker trainer, but not very good at it because I haven't been very disciplined. Even so, my CBC, Rudy, would do a flying retrieve with as much enthusiasm as a dog after a ball. He would beg to play fetch by going to the drawer where he knew the toys were.

I am very interested in parrot education. We all know about Alex, and how much he learned. I think we have a lot to learn from our little dinosaur descendants and their adaptable brains. If and when I get another parrot, I'd like to give it an environment in which it can learn to think and communicate to the best of it's abilities. I hope to get some ideas from this forum.

I came here after accidentally finding Michael's video of training his bird to accept a harness, which I think is pretty impressive. I also appreciate Michael's free information exchange, so we can all help each other understand more.

I am considering adding a Blue Crowned Conure to my flock, and pretending it's a pyrrhura. They seem to share some of the traits I like about pyrrhura's.

If you haven't had enough yet, you can visit my website http://www.pyrrhuraphile.ca or see my videos on my pyrrhuraphile YouTube channel.
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure, Blue Crowned Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello from BC, Canada

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:49 pm

Welcome aboard! I am in BC too and there are a lot of fellow Canadians on this forum. Sorry to hear about your bird... :(
:macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Natacha » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:20 am

Hi and welcome to the board!
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MandyG » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:16 am

Welcome!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for your welcomes, I love looking at the pictures of your birds, btw. I just got contact back from a BCC breeder who could possibly have my next baby parrot in a month. I love my Charlie, but I sure miss having a young bird to love as well, so I'm pretty excited. Rudy was so amazing, and I learned so much from him that I can't think of anything more rewarding than applying that to a new young parrot. There will be updates...
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Postby el-parrot » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 pm

hi !! welcome from Holland!
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Well, now I've done it! Funny how things turn out, because I just brought home a 6 year old Blue Crowned Conure named Louie.

Saturday morning I suddenly got it into my head to call a petstore about an hours drive from my place that is known to carry parrots. When I told the guy on the phone I was looking for a BCC, he said he'd just gotten one in last week! I was floored, as they are so uncommon around here... I have not found a single breeder in my province, and very few scattered across the rest of Canada. The pet store guy agreed that it is not a species they tend to see.

Well, it turns out Louie was sold to the pet store about a week ago by a couple that were "moving". We went and saw him Saturday, and I left thinking, "What a nice bird... but I want a baby bird."

But then I started thinking that here was a bird that needed and deserved a stable home with people who would understand him, and not only that, he already behaves the way I would want my bird to behave 6 years down the line anyway. He's lost his family, we've lost our baby BCC, it suddenly seemed almost meant to be.

So here I am, Sunday afternoon, not home an hour yet, with a big cage next to me on my desk (we are quaranteening him in my home office) with a gorgeous little parrot in it! He's calm, gentle, outgoing, and has already started talking to us, saying phrases off a long list that his people gave along with him. He steps up, gives kisses, and just generally seems to be a well adjusted little guy. The plan is to just let him be for now, while I work next to him at my computer and we get to know one another. He's active... keeps climbing to the top of his cage so he can peer at his new surroundings, then back into the cage where he feels secure, all the while making the cutest cooing sounds.

I'm feeling so lucky right now! I'm looking forward to getting to know this little fella.
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Postby Rue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new BCC!!!

Looking forward to pictures! :D
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Chicklet » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:36 pm

welcome to the board! Sorry to hear about your crimson bellied

Congrats on your new addition :)
Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.

Return to Introductions