Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Louisiana

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello from Louisiana

Postby ChiNekio » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:13 am

Hello!
The name is Stephanie, but call me Steph or Stephy.
I've had parakeets when I was small. I grew up and obtained a cockatiel when I was about 13 years old. Later I gained some real cuties, some military macaws. Due to some sad circumstances, we had to give the macaws away. They weren't receiving enough attention from us. I intend to contact the man we gave the pair to and see if he can give me the price for an egg from any macaw he has. I finally got my cockatiel back in the sense that I couldn't take care of her for a while. I am a college student lazily looking around for a job that I probably won't keep since I plan to focus on college, but if daily living and my pets require me to get a job I will.
Anyway, I've decided that the next bird I'm going to get will be a sun conure since I'm not ready for the complete commitment of a macaw just yet. I would like to learn about what kind of toys conures really like and why my cockatiel cannot fly.
on hiatus until further notice.
ChiNekio
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Hello from Louisiana

Postby karcar » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:40 am

Cockatiels can and do fly just fine, as far as a sun conure and school work, mixing the 2 I would give that one a second thought too. Sun conures are beautiful birds, but are very very loud.
Just my 3 cents, Karen
OH!! Welcome aboard.
karcar
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: congo grey, timneh grey, Yellow naped amazon, half moon conure, english budgie

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Edit: comment removed because hey I am human and screwed up.
Last edited by Azure Hanyo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby pchela » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:48 pm

What Azure said only I would change the 1 hour a day to at least 2 but preferably more.

Also, what would you do with a macaw egg? They are very difficult to get to hatch and then they are extremely difficult to hand feed etc. It's much healthier for a baby bird to be raised at least a few weeks by its parents anyway.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Hey guess what? Continued on with the initial screw up.
Last edited by Azure Hanyo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby born2fly » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi Steph,

Glad you joined the forum, at least you didn't make a mistake of getting the bird before joining.

Based on the description of your commitement/situation no bird is currently good for you, let alone Sun conure.
Not sure if you will be living in a dorm or with roommates but with a sun conure I guarantee you that you would have to get "rid" of it in no time.

My advise is to browse this forum, learn what kind a commitement it takes to own a bird.
Only when you can provide a forever home then think of a bird.

As for now get a gold fish much less commitement and noise
Chris
"If man can save the parrots, he may yet save himself"
Mike Reynolds, World Parrot Trust Founder
http://www.parrots.org
:gcc: - WALL-E :redbelly: - Buddy
born2fly
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure (M)
Red-bellied Parrot (M)

Postby Red Moppet » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Steph - everyone's comments ring true. You have come to the right place to start learning about bird care, but it sounds like you have a long way to go. Enjoy the journey of learning all you can and don't rush the process. Plus, it sounds like you already have a bird to care for - aim to be a fabulous mom to him first and foremost.
Red Moppet
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Postby ChiNekio » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:17 am

What I meant by I was lazily looking around for a job was that I really didn't want a job. I want to focus my time on school work. Financially, I'm secure to the point that I'll never have to worry about money. I'm sure you've all had a field day on my asking why my cockatiel does not fly and that I was not ready for the commitment of macaw. I never wanted to go into details, but why not? Let's have fun. The macaws were not technically mine although I pleaded for my Mom to keep them. I even told her I'd devote all my time to taking care of them, but she denied me. Apparently someone can't go to physical therapy, high school, and take care of three birds. She was going through a divorce and the loss of my brother so it seemed right for her. My brother's death was from a car accident that I was in so not too sound harsh but you know why I couldn't take care of my tiel? I couldn't even walk so my health came first. I'm so sorry if it seemed that's why so many parrots get "re-homed", but life sometimes isn't easy. I've learned that so well. I went through hell so far and I'm still alive. I wanted to know why she doesn't fly, but don't worry I found out.
So you may want to take to heart that you should never judge a book by its cover. I'm lazily looking around for a job because I have a steady income. [I know you just assumed I was living off my parents or something, but I'm not. I get paid regularly. I just don't work too hard.]
ChiNekio
Parakeet

Postby ChiNekio » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:23 am

[quote="born2fly"]Hi Steph,

Glad you joined the forum, at least you didn't make a mistake of getting the bird before joining.

Based on the description of your commitement/situation no bird is currently good for you, let alone Sun conure.
Not sure if you will be living in a dorm or with roommates but with a sun conure I guarantee you that you would have to get "rid" of it in no time.

My advise is to browse this forum, learn what kind a commitement it takes to own a bird.
Only when you can provide a forever home then think of a bird.

As for now get a gold fish much less commitement and noise
Chris----------Evil computer ate some of this quote: I hate typing on a laptop sometimes.-----
In case you misread what I typed, I own a cockatiel already. I do not get rid of any pets I obtain because I do a lot of research on them first. I researched cockatiels about a year or more before I got mine. Thanks for the thought and how rude everyone has been. Just because you say "I don't mean to be harsh, but" you think that makes it any easier? In that case, I'm just defending myself. I got really, really hurt in a car accident. I needed the time to get better so I focused on me then got my tiel back. I had asked my grandmother, whom I was staying with before the accident, if she couldn't take care of my bird for me for a little longer. I can't go to college in person because of this accident so I'm going online. I'm going to be staying in my own house, thank you very much. I spend a lot of time with my cockatiel everyday and I'm looking into having another feathered friend. I'm thankful everyone was so quick to jump to their own assumptions, but I haven't properly researched the bird yet to have made up my mind fully. I'd love to get one, but I think I've been talked out of getting another bird. Next time, I join somewhere I'll leave a very detailed introduction.
ChiNekio
Parakeet

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:57 am

Hey guess what? ANOTHER comment removed because I am not allowed to explain myself, because apparently explaining myself isn't good enough.
Last edited by Azure Hanyo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Next

Return to Introductions