Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

NEWBIE FROM NEBRASKA

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

NEWBIE FROM NEBRASKA

Postby Jumpman2382 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and at this moment I don't have a parrot. Two years ago I was going to buy a B/G Macaw and was doing all my research and joined a forum like this one (I don't remember the name) and had everything ready for "Melo" to come to her new home. But all the other members of the forum was very rude to me and told me how I shouldn't get a BG Macaw so I chickened out and didn't buy one.

I'm getting the itch to get one again. So I'm doing my research yet again. Just got married last month and my wife says I can't get one till February because I'm super busy till then. I'm a teacher/coach so I tend to be pretty busy. I want to spend a lot of time with my Macaw to make sure she will be used to me and allow me to join her flock.

But I don't remember this answer to this question I'm about to ask but when are Macaws usually the loudest? The breeder I worked with two years ago said they like to do their chipping in the morning and when the sun is going down. Reason why I ask is because my wife works nights (she is a nurse) and I work days of course. I don't want to get a really really noisy bird but we both understand she will make noise.

I will have other questions to ask but will put them in the right spots. :)

Thanks and I hope this time around I will have a more positive experience. :macaw:

Aaron
Last edited by Jumpman2382 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpman2382
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: NONE - Looking to purchase a B/G Macaw.
Flight: No

Re: NEWBIE FROM NEBRASKA

Postby pchela » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi.

First off, Macaws are awesome birds and a lot of fun but they are extremely loud and though they may be more loud first thing in the morning and when the sun goes down, they will also make noise through out the day. It would probably really disturb your wifes ability to sleep.

I'm sorry people were rude to you at the other forum. Please don't hesitate to ask questions here. Most everybody is friendly and wants to help!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:41 pm

I wouldn't call what macaws do "chirping." That is for like a little cockatiel or something. Macaws squawk and they can be really loud. Not the best, but a reasonable example of what you can expect for anywhere from 1-12 hours a day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLD-ZPoUGyA

Be sure to turn your speakers up to the absolute maximum to get a closer depiction. Of course if you feel comfortable with that, then go for it. If that is a problem, there are other species you may consider.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Mr.Darcy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Hey
welcome Aaron. Hopefully you can glean lots of info off this forum. I am getting a Hahn's Macaw. Not as showie as a Blue and Gold or as big or as loud!! But I am told has all the same personality traits, cuddly, physical and smart!! Maybe given you family schedule a loud bird might not be the best choice, but there are tonnes of fabulous breeds that will quench your parrot desires!!
Good Luck
Marlies
:macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Jumpman2382 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:51 am

Hello! Thanks for all the information so far. Umm...maybe the BG Macaw isn't the best option but I've been wanting one for 4 years now. :) :macaw:

I really don't want a small bird. I'm in love with the macaws. Just wonderful looking birds. Everytime we go to a zoo I can spend an hour just looking at the macaws. :) We went to Jamaica after our wedding in August and the resort we stayed at had two macaws a :macaw: and a scarlet. Every morning I went and said hello and chit chatted with them.

I know they make "LOUD" noises...used the wrong term. Sorry. My breeder I worked with 2 years ago had tons of birds in her basement and they were always going nuts. haha...she said with only one in the house it wouldn't be as bad of course.

Aaron
Jumpman2382
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: NONE - Looking to purchase a B/G Macaw.
Flight: No

Return to Introductions