Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello Parrot Question

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello Parrot Question

Postby Munchy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:08 am

Hello,
I just joined this forum because I am thinking about getting a parrot. I've had two in the past, a Half Moon who was with me Many years as I grew up and into adulthood. And after he died a few years later I was given a parrot by my sister. She does not know anything about birds and I don't know what kind of parrot it was. He died a few days after I got him, which had nothing to do with me, and always wondered what he might have been like had I had the chance to get to know him. And now am thinking I might like a parrot like him. He was about the same size as my Half Moon with a short tail and a blackish head. He was green maybe some yellow? It was a long time ago, The only thing I can find that somewhat looks like he did is a Senegal. But I am thinking his head was darker?
It was so long ago, I don't know, I just though maybe some more knowledgeable parrot owners might have a good guess? Is there a parrot like that?
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello Parrot Question

Postby pchela » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:18 am

Sounds like a Senegal to me. Some Senegals have darker heads than others. I guess it could have been a Nanday Conure http://animal-world.com/encyclo/birds/c ... nanday.php but they have a long tail.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Munchy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:46 am

I was thinking about it all night. The parrot was smaller than what the Senegals appear to be but maybe it was a young bird? In any case I think I'm going to get a Senegal.
Now that I have finally decided what kind of parrot I'm going to get it's pretty exciting.
Munchy
Conure

Postby minhta » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Munchy

Welcome to the forum. I got my Princess Parrot 3 months ago so I'm still in the "excited" state, lol.
Roger - Princess Parrot
minhta
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Princess Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Munchy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Thank you,

It might be awhile before I find my bird. We're going to the pet store today just to look for fun. But I am positive I want a Senegal. Most likely a young one that has been hand fed or raised by a breeder in California.
Munchy was the name of my Half Moon. He was a sweet heart.
Munchy
Conure

Postby karcar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:09 pm

It could have been a Black-Headed Caique, they are wonderful little clowns. I have a caique on my wish list. I have posted a picture of one for you to look at.
Karen
thumbnail 1.jpg
thumbnail 1.jpg (5.1 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
karcar
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: congo grey, timneh grey, Yellow naped amazon, half moon conure, english budgie
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:02 pm

karcar wrote:It could have been a Black-Headed Caique, they are wonderful little clowns. I have a caique on my wish list. I have posted a picture of one for you to look at.
Karen
thumbnail 1.jpg

They are wonderful clowns... AND SO STUBBORN!

:mrgreen:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Munchy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 am

I only had the bird for a few days and that was about 20-25 years ago, but I am thinking it was a Senegal.
I did find a Half Moon Conure in Southern Calif. yesterday but I think I will still get a Senegal.
All the Parrots are so beautiful. I've e-mailed a few breeders I was able to find on the internet but have not heard back as of yet. In any case I'm not in any hurry. It would be best for me to wait a couple of months anyway. I'm sure the right bird will be around at the right time.
Funny how a bird I had for only a few days is on my mind so much now.
Munchy
Conure

Postby Mr.Darcy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Munchy wrote:I only had the bird for a few days and that was about 20-25 years ago, but I am thinking it was a Senegal.
I did find a Half Moon Conure in Southern Calif. yesterday but I think I will still get a Senegal.
All the Parrots are so beautiful. I've e-mailed a few breeders I was able to find on the internet but have not heard back as of yet. In any case I'm not in any hurry. It would be best for me to wait a couple of months anyway. I'm sure the right bird will be around at the right time.
Funny how a bird I had for only a few days is on my mind so much now.

I know how you feel, 15 years ago I had a lovebird for 2 years.(she died in an accident) :( but I have thought about that bird sooo many times and how sweet she was and how much fun we had with her. I bought a bird in June but I am waiting for him to wean in about 2 weeks and I am getting very eggcited!!
:macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Munchy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:16 pm

I have decided to go with a Half Moon Conure. At first I felt he/she would remind me to much of my Munchy, as they all look so much alike. But in the end I keep going back to it. I found one breeder that has four babies but they don't answer my e-mails. Only once to say they had them. The search continues. I've done some research and find that parrots are in general over bred yet finding one isn't easy. Sun Conures are everywhere, beautiful, but I am determined to get a Half Moon.
Yes the Senegal has always haunted me. I feel his/her death could have been avoided. He wasn't so sure/comfortable in his new surroundings. I had only had him for a couple of days. I was only about 23 when I brought my five year old niece to play with my five year old son. The bird was sitting on top of it's cage and I told the two children to "STAY AWAY" from the bird. No sooner did I turn my back to leave the room when my niece jumped up scaring the poor bird. It flew in front of a heating vent and dropped dead. I was so angry and so hurt and mad, yet she was only five. I should have put the bird in it's cage. Well I decided I couldn't have a bird with the kids around so never got another. Now they are long grown and I am nearing fifty so I feel it is time. A lot of guilt for that poor little bird, We were just beginning to get to know each other. But that was a long time ago.
I do think I would be happy with a Half Moon Conure.
Does anyone know of any breeders in California?
Munchy
Conure

Next

Return to Introductions