Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi!

Postby hercules » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:47 pm

My name is Tony Fisher and I live near York, UK.

I bought my first parrot, Hercules, in 1996. I was told he was a male Senegal, but 7 years later, I realised that "he" is actually a she. In 2002, a baby male Sun Conure charmed his way into my life, followed shortly by a very scared and unwanted 2 year old male budgie. This was the first of a series of rescues of unwanted birds, the next 2 being Goldie, a male Meyers, and Bubble, a male Senegal, both of which came due to their owner's suicide. These 2 hate each other and have to be kept well apart. My flock was completed by Nellie, a male Blue Crowned conure, whose owners had had a baby and couldn't give him the attention he needed. He is a brilliant talker and incredibly intelligent.

All 6 have their own large cages in my lounge and, except for the budgie, all come out a lot and spend ages chewing all my possessions and demanding attention. All but the budgie are extremely tame; I finally got Bubble hand tame this summer after 5 years of trying.

I am a member of the World Parrot Trust and sponsor 2 birds at the National Parrot Sanctuary.
hercules
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegals, 1 Meyers, 1 Sun Conure, 1 Blue Crowned Conure, 1 Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi!

Postby sidech » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Wow, you must be the most caring and patient person in the world ! I only have one and he is so demanding, I don't know how I would manage another one !

Do you have pictures, I would love to see them all !

Oh, and I forgot to say, welcome to the forum !
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby karcar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Welcome to the group, I use to have a blue crown conure they are wonderful birds I missed him so much but my hubby is not much of a bird person and Benny was extremely loud so he now lives with a friend of mine. I do have a half moon conure and he is a sweetheart and not nearly as loud. I have always wanted to be a rescue home sounds like you were one wheather you wanted it or not, lol
Anyway, welcome aboard!!!
Karen :thumbsup:
karcar
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: congo grey, timneh grey, Yellow naped amazon, half moon conure, english budgie
Flight: No

Postby el-parrot » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:57 am

welcome from Holland!
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby Titanius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forums! :D
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby pyrrhuraphile » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:18 pm

I have a BCC... two weeks tomorrow. He's a 6+ year old "used" parrot. We are getting to know each other, but so far I really see his intelligence and he's been very sweet.

Hi and welcome to you!
:hatched:
pyrrhuraphile
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure, Blue Crowned Conure

Postby hercules » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks to all for the welcome. I'll try to post some pics.

To Pyrrhuraphile:

Ironically, the rescued Meyers and Senegal I now have were my ex-wife's replacements for a Green Cheeked Conure; what wonderful birds they are. I went with my ex-wife to choose him - a little darling called Buzz. She wanted a parrot of her own as Hercules stayed with me after we separated. Buzz stayed with me a few times when she went on holiday and he was such a character; so full of fun and completely fearless. Unfortunately, he was out of his cage at her home one day when her new partner walked in through the French windows and he flew away and was never seen again. I was gutted. She then bought the Meyers from a rescue centre, followed closely by the Senegal. When her partner died, those 2 came to stay with me whilst she got over it and 5 years later, they're still here.

I was luckier; Mango (my Sun Conure) escaped when a door blew open when he was out, but my son found him 3 hours later (he replies to his name and his squawks are audible for a long way) and I coaxed him down from the tree he was happily ripping to bits.
hercules
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegals, 1 Meyers, 1 Sun Conure, 1 Blue Crowned Conure, 1 Budgie

Postby hercules » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Update

Sadly, my ancient budgie reached the end of the road last week and I had to call the vet to help him get to the great perch in the sky. Very sad but he'd had a good innings and I couldn't bear to see him in distress.

I write this with a Meyers Parrot balancing on my head!!! At least I've still got 5 birds to lavish my love on.
hercules
Parakeet

Return to Introductions