Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello, with psephotus

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello, with psephotus

Postby escouve » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi everyone,

Newbie from Tasmania. Am wondering whether anyone outside Australia keeps psephotus parrots? Would love to compare notes as to diet, as available info seems pretty sketchy. ^^

This current bird I've not had very long. He's a red-rumped parrot, but without the red gene, so in fact is blue. ^^ About four months old, and still begging for food (even if he's really more interested in a cuddle than the food).

His favourite foods are asparagus, broccolini, sprouted seed, apple, rose hips, rosemary, acacia blossoms, and fresh sweet corn. And linseed, as I found out the hard way when he ate my seedlings. ^^

Still quite new to caring for a parrot, so would appreciate any advice!
escouve
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-rumped parrot (psephotus)
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello, with psephotus

Postby GooseBlossom » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I have no experience or knowledge about psephotus parrots, but someone here will likely have some information for you or be able to direct you to a resource. There is a wealth of information and friendly assistance here as well as an abundance of senses of humor!
GooseBlossom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Peach-Faced Lovebird

Postby Kim S » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:51 am

The red rumped parrot and the psphotus varius are kept fairly regularly as aviary pets here in holland. The red rumped is actually used as a foster bird for most species of parakeets and even smaller parrots. They are known to accept and raise just about any young bird that they are able to feed.
The only downside of the birds is that you cant keep them with other species as they are highly agresive during breedingseason, even if they are not breeding themself. They are birds that go for the kill if they feel threatened in their teritory.

They are beautifull birds though. Cant wait to see pictures of yours.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:35 am

Hi and welcome too!.. I have never heard of this bird, so I googled it and there are several books specific for this species of bird:
http://birdhouse.be/wp-content/uploads/ ... 10x300.jpg

Pretty looking bird! Good luck :thumbsup:
I too look forward to pictures!
Marlies and :macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Return to Introductions