Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help! Bird sitting and a bit lost!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Help! Bird sitting and a bit lost!

Postby nikkyd84 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Hey Guys...
I was wondering if anyone could help me…
My other half and I are house and bird sitting for close friends of ours that have just gone on their honeymoon for 2 weeks.
They have a 1yr – 2 yr old Alexandrian Parrot (I think that’s right).

When they are around she’s fine with us, lets us pet her, sits on our shoulders, is very playful and talkative. Now they have gone, she’s is like a completely different bird. Every time I go near her she snaps at me, she will take food off me, but that’s about it. I am giving her time, and not pushing, I just want to make sure I am treating her well and letting her have the life and enjoyment she is used to when her owners are around.

Her routine is usually as follows.. She’s in her huge cage during the day time when they are at work, then of an evening she’s brought into the house and sits on her perch, and tends to walk around the house as she pleases. She is played with frequently, and interacts with her owners a lot, she even walks to their bedroom and gets into bed with them on the weekend! – I’m not sure she’s actually a bird! Lol . She’s kept in the house over night, then put back into her cage in the morning.

The issues I am having is bringing her into the house of the evening, and getting her back into her cage of a morning, she does not want to come onto my hand, and is constantly trying to bite me if I try. Her owners gave me a towel to wrap around my hand so I wouldn’t get hurt, but I would like her to be comfortable with me, so she is less stressed out.

What can I do to make her comfortable and happy while her owners are away?

Sorry for the looong post, and I appreciate and help or guidance anyone can give me. I am not used to birds, but I am happy to learn and be patient :)

Thanks! Nikky :)
nikkyd84
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrian Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Help! Bird sitting and a bit lost!

Postby kellybird » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Nikki, sorry you are having problems bird sitting. Its sounds perfectly normal the behavior you mentioned. Most birds bond with certain people and obviously he has bonded with his/her owners. That does not mean he will not bond with you or your husband, just might take some getting used to. My very own senegal that I had for 16 years decided after I met my husband to like him better than me lol. I do not give in and still pick up and play with him even though he will bite me sometimes. Its sounds like he is probably testing you right now too. If you pull your hand away when he goes to bite you its like he is winning. I know you don't want to get bit but maybe put on a glove or use the towel like she said but keep doing it everyday. Maybe try bribing him with some frest fruit or veggies lol. I was confused by what u said about him being out of the cage at night? Is the cage out of the house? Just keep doing what your doing, I am sure he is fine. Just interact with him even if you can't handle him. Maybe put cartoons on the tv or the radio on for him to listen too. Hope that helps a little, I am no expert just learn from my own birds. Good Luck! Kelly
kellybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions